ando76

The Mad Scientist Crossflow

yeah I like that idea.  I'll see how my low boost suck through set up goes first.  I am not chasing outright power and I want it to be pretty much finished by 4500rpm. 

The reason is that I want this to be a good tow rig - that means solid low down grunt.  I just need to get my finger out and finish the body work on the ute so I can install the engine and get stuff happening.  Brenton's race car and other paying work has been keeping my bloody busy.  Not good.  I need some time for my own stuff. 

Gerg, with the ecu doing the switching I can configure it to either come on and off 100% or I can stage it like your talking. For example I can say bring in say 25% at 4psi, 50% at 5psi and 100% at 6psi.

I can also set up the ecu with a switch to run dual maps. Switch in position 1 could be with e85 injection, switch position 2 can be the same tune but no e85 spray and less timing for when the tank might run dry. Potentially saving an engine.

OR switch position 1 can be race map

Switch position 2 can be everyday driving..

Possibilities are endless

It is together - patiently waiting for the Aussiespeed blower kits to be finished.  I will take a photo of it all dressed up with carb and the 2 barrel manifold later in the week. 

Unfortunately work has been stupid busy and I have been helping others reach their crossflow dreams and not doing enough of my own stuff.  The shop ute it is going into has also been getting a lot of love.  Got all the dash out of it to fit a new evap.  Need to clean up the engine bay and repaint it as the previous owner had a battery explode in there and I know you mob will be all over me if I put the engine in a dirty old bay.

The plan is to run it in aspo, 2 barrel form first to get a number on the dyno.  I will try the 350 and 500 carb as originally planned.  If time permits I will do a four barrel run as well.  Once that is sorted The Aussiespeed blower kit will be bolted on with the 600DP and we will see what torque improvement we can achieve.

So short answer - Yep the Mad Scientist Crossflow is still happening, I just need 2 of me to get alll this work out the door so that I can get onto my own stuff. 

Ok so clearly my concept of 'later in the week' and actual time is way off. Anyway here she is. Just the fuel line to sort and the power steering crank pulley to mount (sure I've got a 3 bolt balancer one here somewhere)

141215_009.jpg

The headers are just for the photo - not using them on this engine - they belong to my roller cam engine.

First carb of the rank is the 'Keith Dorton Special' 350 Holley on a 1/2" open hole spacer. As you can see I made the carb studs long enough to try a couple of different spacers. Second up will be the Aussiespeed 2 hole 1" spacer. But don't hold you breath waiting for me. I'm frightfully unreliable due to paying work having to take priority.

I have a set of those as well as, pacemaker 6-2-1's, and other cheap brand headers (actually have about 6 sets all up). If time permits I'll test each design, 6-3-1& 6-2-1 to see what works best. In the end I think the paceys will end up on there, especially when the blower kit arrives.

Small update. This is the bay where the MSC will reside. Looks like it has had a battery explode or something in the past. Pretty ugly repair as well.

130116_004.jpg

130116_005.jpg

Hooked in with the grinder, wire wheel and a bit of chemical assistance and got it almost sorted. There was a fair amount of deep rust damage from the battery acid.

130116_007.jpg

130116_008.jpg

I'll finish cleaning it up, sand the edges and get some epotec on there tomorrow. Should be colouring this in on Monday/Tuesday next week. Can't wait to be honest. Then the MSC can go in and I can start refitting everything.

Yeah this one splashed onto the firewall so I'd nearly say it happened whilst moving? The bonnet is also a bit not so good but I grabbed an xg one the other day which I will use.

Got the bare steel into epotec today so I will finger bog and blend the terrible welds around the battery tray area tomorrow. Then another layer of epotec after a sand to the entire area and she should be good.

Undercoat and rub on Monday and possibly colour Monday if I get really fired up. Really keen to knock this ove and get the MSC and all the other stuff bolted in the bay to start making it look like s car again

Yeah that is someone's attempt at a 'hole'. They made a nice thick alloy cover plate with a hole in it and some contoured bends. It was pretty cool actually but then when I took it off and saw that - well.... Never mind. I'll probably get slack and just put the alloy cover plate back over it. It is a work ute after all.

Small update. MSC's home is getting there. All repairs complete and rubbed back. I ended up going a bit further than planned as there was some deep scratching on the passenger side of the bay that I just couldn't live with.

140216_005.jpg

Undercoat down

140216_006.jpg

and then

140216_007.jpg

battery tray area came up reasonable enough. None of this actually gets seen once the battery tray and plastic surrounds are in.

140216_008.jpg

I have started re-assembling the engine bay, cleaning and painting as I go. I will take some photos tomorrow and upload them. Soon enough the MSC and T5 will be sitting in here. Getting there slowly - like most of my projects.

Cheers men. A fitting home for the MSC.

Jack it's Monza red. Well it's supposed to be. Looks to have a bit more orange in it to me but hard to sat as the original paint is crap.

They actually changed the formula over the years apparently. Mine was done to 1988 spec as that's the year model of the ute.

Hope to have the engine and box in by the end of the week. Just gotta knock over a couple more paying jobs first.

image.jpg

Getting there. Used a lot of old spare steering parts I had from the race car to make it roadworthy. Rotors and pads off the old burnout ute and shocks off the old pvan skid car. Brake master off the race car. Feels good to be using all these parts and means less money spent all up. Win win.

Air con lines will be coming off now and going with the condenser off the white donor ute to be flushed.