Sign in to follow this  
Stumps

PCV Valve? do i really need it?

Ok, been trying to sort out the ADM weber that i fitted to my corty and while the running part is almost sorted i ran into a major hickup as the spacer and adaptor arrangement make it impossible to close the bonnet with any sort of air cleaner on.

The first spacer is fitted with the pipe that runs to the PCV valve on the rocker cover and i've used this setup before in XB's and XC's with no clearance issues.

If i delete this spacer it should give me the required clearance but then i have nothing to run the PCV to as the redline manifold and weber dont have to port for it.

Can i simply get rid of the valve itself and run a hose directly from the rocker cover to the XF air cleaner assembly that i have in pretty much an identical arrange to the XF layout.

The air cleaner has been modified to feed to hose from the factory oil filler cap toit in the same style as the XC/XD arrangement.

Basically i'll be feeding both hose straight in to the air cleaner without the PCV valve, would this work or is the valve ment to actually do something vital.

My main aim is to keep the emissions looking stock to please the cops.

The hose going "to" the air cleaner is actually a feed from there to your engine. The idea is that the PCV sucks the crankcase gases out, creating a slight vacuum inside the crankcase and clean air gets sucked in through that hose from the air cleaner. The upshot of this is that your seals leak less with a lower pressure inside the engine than outside.

Depending on how worn your engine is, it might not need too much ventilation for now. The PCV is an emissions thing, to stop crankcase gases and oil vapour floating around and polluting the place. Your air cleaner might also get dirty more quickly with oil vapour contaminating it.

That redline manifold seems to have a blank boss between where it says "redline" and "torker". Why not drill and tap it out and put an elbow fitting there? Looks to be about 3/8" hose yeah? That boss would take a 3/8" BSPT elbow no probs. You'll still have a working PCV and it will look neat.

What Gerg said, but id just not worry about the PCV

Chances of getting pulled over, small

Chances of bonnet to be popped once pulled over, smaller

Chances the cop realises the PCV is missing, smallest

And if you get busted, just fix it then

My plan was to use the hose connection on the under side of the air cleaner which is used for this purpose on an XE and XF any way as their valve is in the oil filler cap.

Im more wondering if i need to have a vacuum source to draw the vapors out or can it just be breathed in via the air cleaner assembly instead as the gases get ingested by the engine any way.

This would make things real simple as i can just remove the pcv spacer under the carb and lower the carb half an inch or so and give clearance for the air cleaner.