anthony2277

Starter motor?

Last few times I have tried to start my car its been tempremental, sometimes goes first times others not, all lights and electrics come on and work but doesn't kick over when the key is turned, does nothing at all, does this sound like a starter motor problem, the car is a 95 EF 6cyl 4lt,

Also, is the starter in a bitch of a place or easy change over.

Cheers Anthony

As you hold the key to crank it smack the dash below and to tbe left of the steering wheel. Should crank.

Its the BEM. Common problem. Dry solder joints.

Starters are a bit irritating on the 4L, unlike the crossflow where it takes about 30 seconds...

It used to start all the time doing that but now it doesn't work anymore, I keep trying to start and roll the car a bit and it starts, sometimes, otherwise I keep trying and eventually it starts

Yeah I'd say its just getting worse. You could have it fixed up by a place like injectronics or even try reflowing all the joints yourself.

The other thing to do is join the two wires for the starter circuit behind the BEM to bypass it. Can't remember which ones, some googling should find out.

From memory there's a plug in the top then one in the bottom too. Its been a while but the starter wires were at the top I reckon, behind the dash surround.

Google it for the wire colours then find them.

My NF has been doing it for years, as Dan said, hold the key in crank position and smack the dash in front of your left knee.

My BEM is green, changed it out, a year later that started playing up............being tapping the dash for 2 years, now... :rolleyes:

Yeah tats what my mechanic said when it first stared playing up, is there an easier way to get it out than unbolting another thing below it with a shitload of wires hanging out of it, i could see 4 bolts probable size 14 spanner

Never found an easier way, but if ya do......let me know.  Mine hasn't given me anymore trouble than not starting properly, but it's kinda like having an extra kill switch......bah ha ha ha ha

A bloke at work said he had the same problem so a mate of his ran a wire from the ignition wire to the starter motor, sort of a half hotwire to bypass the BEM, does this sound doable, also is it easier to get to the starter from the bonnet or from below, couldn't even see it from the top.

Thanks heaps

Yes, run a wire to the starter solenoid. But you'd want it to come from a source that is only hot when the key is set to start. Or an in line switch that you control.