thorne

LPG and numberplate sticker legalities

This document outlines the legal requirements about marking your vehicle to signify installation of an alternative fuel (such as LPG and CNG) in Australian and New Zealand vehicles (originally from the earlier http://www.ozfalcon.com.au/index.php?/topic/4407-lpg-numberplate-stickers/ (LPG numberplate stickers) thread.

If the vehicle was converted after 1 February 1993, an approved AS1425 LPG compliance plate must be fitted to the vehicle at the time of the conversion/installation. Vehicles fitted with LPG systems are required to have red LPG stickers attached to the vehicle's number plates; red metal plates riveted to the number plates have been required since 1999 in Australia. 

Quoting AS1425:2007 (similar)

7.4.3 Vehicle identification

In Australia, to indicate that a vehicle is equipped to use LPG as a fuel, it shall carry permanently attached to the front and rear registration plates, an approved, external metal plate not less than 1mm thick affixed with a label complying at least with the following requirements:
1) The plate and label size shall be not less than 25mm square mounted as a diamond.
2) The label colour shall be retro-reflective red, complying with AS/NZS 1906.1, Class 2.
3) The label shall have only the letters 'LPG' in white at least 10mm in height.
Where a vehicle is fitted with more than one container, the vehicle shall carry an additional plate and label as above.

In New Zealand, to indicate that a vehicle is equipped to use LPG as a fuel, it shall have affixed as close as possible to the registration/number a plate and label complying at least with the following requirements:
1) The plate and label size shall be 80mm square, mounted on a diamond.
2) The label colour shall be retro-reflective red, complying with AS/NZS 1906.1, Class 2.
3) The label shall have only the letters 'LPG' in white at least 20mm in height.

This is an Australian-wide standard for cars running LPG (also for cars running CNG - and legislation was updated in 2007 to include hybrid vehicles). Previously all vehicles with an LPG system installed before 1999 must have had a red retro-reflective sticker affixed to the numberplate, as below:

Ip3KWCJd.jpg

As of 1999, the sticker advertising running on LPG must now be mounted on a diamond metal plate, and then this must be pop-riveted onto the number plate itself.

eXszykRw.jpg

This is due to the dangers of fire damage: if the fire melts the sticker, the presence of the pop-riveted plate will still alert emergency services to an alternate fuel (or electrical dangers, concerning a hybrid) within the vehicle. Vehicles with multiple tanks need one tag per tank (plates need 2 LPG tags for 2 tanks, etc).

The result should look like this: notice the raised edges of the plate behind the newer-style LPG sticker:

IFCUvz9T.jpg

This also means that anyone in Australia with personalised plates and on LPG/CNG will end up needing to deface their plate to conform to standards, as attaching them to the car body, as opposed to the numberplate instead, is a no-no: oddly enough, this appears to be fine in New Zealand. Absence of LPG tags is a offence in Australia and in Victoria can lead to a fine starting from $150, if the cops are in a good mood. Tags must also be affixed to bike rack number plates, if applicable.

It appears however not a lot of people appear to know of this updated standard (including myself before I started further investigating): my XH recently passed RWC before I bought it in February 2015 - ironically, my LPG tank didn't pass muster and I needed another tank installed and restamped by an APA representative - and not a word was said about my plates with the old square/black LPG stickers on them, either by the APA rep or the RWC tester.

Admins: with your permission, could this post please be pinned for future reference, as there are a lot of converted (and E-gas) Fords out there who should be aware of government standards regarding the labelling of their vehicles. If anything, it may prevent over-zealous cops looking for more excuses to fix a canary sticker to the car.  :)  

If the gas system was originally installed in the panel van - before 1999, then the old style of LPG stickers would be quite fine.

Standards are not applied retrospectively.

If they were, then no cars would ever be roadworthy/compliant with standards.

As long as a vehicle is compliant with the standards,

which were applicable at the time of the vehicle construction (or LPG system installation in this case) then all is well.

Gonna call you on that Dave.

LPG standards ARE applied retropectively. Back in the day you could mount shit anywhere, (ie converters in line with the fan belts) not have electronic cut-offs, and not actually be compliance plated, etc, etc. But, if the car has been sold and had a roadworthy inspection in the last few years, it has to meet the current regs. 

Gonna call you on that Dave.

LPG standards ARE applied retropectively.  (ie converters in line with the fan belts) etc. But, if the car has been sold and had a roadworthy inspection in the last few years, it has to meet the current regs. 

Hmmmmm,

So even if it WAS compliant at the time of installation, you're saying it has to be changed?

I've had a few cars go through RWC with pretty much all the above

- incl the old copper hardline in Garden hose trick, for the tank to converter line.

(running through the rear wheel arch too I might add.)

Yeah, I noticed the dimensions of the tag in New Zealand were rather large when I was looking up the standards, and thought there's no way that will fit on a numberplate. Then again, even if the tag was shrunk a little, there's barely any room to mount it on a New Zealand numberplate, as there doesn't appear to be enough spacing between the characters.

Hmmmmm,

So even if it WAS compliant at the time of installation, you're saying it has to be changed?

I've had a few cars go through RWC with pretty much all the above

- incl the old copper hardline in Garden hose trick, for the tank to converter line.

(running through the rear wheel arch too I might add.)

If the roadworthy tester picks up on it, yes. Which he should, if he values his licence.

Also in Vic now, not everyone can roadworthy gas powered vehicles. Testers have to have accreditation to examine cars with gas. 

NZ lpg sticker looks like a nitrous sticker on drag cars. Lol rad. So if understand right, if the car was put on lpg say before 1993 it doesnt need a compliance plate and if it meets current regs it doesnt need a plate?

If the roadworthy tester picks up on it, yes. Which he should, if he values his licence.

Also in Vic now, not everyone can roadworthy gas powered vehicles. Testers have to have accreditation to examine cars with gas. 

That was the delay in the RWC for my XH: the garage took an extra week as it needed to get their APA rep to inspect the LPG tank and hoses, then for him to come back again when the new tank was re-installed so he could sign off on it. However nothing was said about my pre-99 numberplate stickers....

So if understand right, if the car was put on lpg say before 1993 it doesnt need a compliance plate and if it meets current regs it doesnt need a plate?

Unsure about a compliance plate - I've never seen a converted car without one, to be completely honest, it's usually under the bonnet - but LPG tanks have to be inspected for re-stamping once every 10 years - or, in my case, when it was RWC'd - to ensure standards compliance and all the hoses and attachments are working correctly and haven't dried out or rotted away (or a tank replacement in my case). I'd've thought re-stamping each decade might check if the numberplates were also standards-compliant, but maybe it was enough it had the LPG stickers and not the plates.....? Can't really say.