Sign in to follow this  
LoSVO

Cheap Auto paint

Hey guys i need to know were a place to get 4ltrs of cheap (but good) paint the super cheap auto where i live only has three colors Black, midnight blue, and monza red but i want to see some more colors the paint at super cheap is 80 bucks for 4 ltrs or the orginal paint for the S pack is 260 for 4ltrs (horizon blue)

My local Autobarn mixes paint up on the spot, a litre of BA/BF Blueprint cost me $110 and that's the most expensive grade you can get (they have three grades of paint depending on colours, metallic, pearls etc)

Dont buy cheap paints, they are shit. if your going to take the time to paint something spend a few extra dollars and buy decent materials, or it will look shit, last half as long and youl have to do it again...

go to an automotive paint suppliers,geez Chris i think your paint supplier in helping himself a little bit to the over pricing side of things ,up here for a group 3 colour ,say sting red i pay $78 a litre and thats in DEbeers,, as said spend a little extra , also dont use acrylic its an out dated paint system ,go 2 pak,its easier to work with gives a better finish, and is a tuffer stronger paint to boot.

im using acrylic as i know how to paint with it dont have a clue with 2 pak and yeah i know i dont want cheap shitty paint im thinking of buying 4ltrs of steptone Midnight blue for 86 dollars at super cheap auto i would love to spend the extra but i dont have the extra to spend :(

Don't use the septone whatever you do, I painted a motorbike tank with it and it was horrible. A proper auto paint supplier should have something affordable in their range that will be usable.

Just paint it in acrylic and just 2pak clear over it.

LOL bryan 2 pack topcoat over a acrylic base will not last long before the clear lifts off and if you where going to do this why not just use a 2 pack basecoat? the price diffrence would only be a few 100 bucks

good paint costs money a good 2 pack clear over base in a good brand is around $1000  in paints clear so on and if you not speding this it will not last more then 4  years at most ive done some cars on the cheap and unless there a bog and flog job dont do it it will not be worth the outcome

in saying that straight colors in 2 pack are on the cheap side and will also last

im not looking for a show room finish just a new color im trying to use as less money on this car as i can because i have to respray the SVO and thats going to cost me a arm and a leg lol

2pac over acrylic works fine as long as you give the acrylic time to let all the solvents dry out first,issue is the 2pac clear is a chemical process which doesnt allow the solvent to evporate from the acrylic, then all the shit hits the fan when it can dry out right.. But saying that there is really really no need these days to do that. Base isnt that expensive unless your going grp 3 or some crazy mica/peal stuff in it.

acrylic is more forgiving for the novice and I have nothing against it, but then I used it for 20 years before switching to 2pac 8-9 years ago so im a little bias :)

septone paint, hmmm never used it and doubt id do it even in your case. When I think of septone i think of underbody black or some crap not finish paint. Try get something a little better even concept or duxon, dupont something. Sure you can get it from feebay or somewhere.

im not looking for a show room finish just a new color im trying to use as less money on this car as i can because i have to respray the SVO and thats going to cost me a arm and a leg lol

Ah ok well you can always park it in the sun on a hot day and paint it with house paint.....

2pac over acrylic works fine as long as you give the acrylic time to let all the solvents dry out first,issue is the 2pac clear is a chemical process which doesnt allow the solvent to evporate from the acrylic, then all the shit hits the fan when it can dry out right.. But saying that there is really really no need these days to do that. Base isnt that expensive unless your going grp 3 or some crazy mica/peal stuff in it.

acrylic is more forgiving for the novice and I have nothing against it, but then I used it for 20 years before switching to 2pac 8-9 years ago so im a little bias :)

septone paint, hmmm never used it and doubt id do it even in your case. When I think of septone i think of underbody black or some crap not finish paint. Try get something a little better even concept or duxon, dupont something. Sure you can get it from feebay or somewhere.

problem with 2 pak clear over acrylic is the clear drys rock hard and the acrylic is a softer base paint ,with a stone chip it just blows the base coat to pieces and takes the clear with it ,no matter how long you wait for the older paint system to dry ,its not compatible,2 pak base coat with 2 pak clear all day ,and use the same brands of colour and clear,dont mix em up,i paint tons of bikes and cars every year ,n i hate come backs so i use the correct paint n clear,,plus i hate doing the same job twice ,done once done right i say! 

hey 2 pak fills better has a better finish ,and one you learn how to apply its furkin easy as ,furk acrylic off its an out dated waste of time ,my 2 cents worth

its no more expensive then acyrilic

hey 2 pak fills better has a better finish ,and one you learn how to apply its furkin easy as ,furk acrylic off its an out dated waste of time ,my 2 cents worth

its no more expensive then acyrilic

Do you spray 2K at home? In the burbs? I always thought that may be a little risky on a number of fronts. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to do 2K at home but don't know whether the risks are significant (ie. health/legality wise) or not. If the guy's scraping together the cash for paint...I don't reckon he's gonna be able to stomach the cost of the correct protective gear required for safe 2K application - or the cost associated with a leading respiratory physician over the long term should he decide to ditch the need for PPE. At least with acrylic paint all he needs is a decent respirator....

What about a single pack polyurethane over a well cured acrylic base?

Even acrylic clear over base (even on solid colour) should give the finish more balls....

Trust me man, use good paint even if you have to wait and save for a while...

I done one of the guards on my daily with cheapo paint, and cheapo bog under the paint... Big mistake. It was all done properly at my school, with the help of one of the teachers who is a professional painter and knows his stuff... He painted his EH himself and it looks fantastic!!

Anyway this is what the guard looked like when we done it:

IMG_20120419_115809.jpg

IMG_20120419_135921.jpg

IMG_20120420_102156.jpg

IMG_20120501_095357.jpg

Came up good hey?

Yeah thats what we thought... It hasn't even been a year and the paint has gone to shit, cracks (thats due to the crappy bog underneath), crows feet, heaps of other imperfections all through it... I'd take a pic but the car isn't here.

Around the same time a friend done the bonnet on his car using better paint (same stuff I got from autobarn and used on my ute), he done the same process as me, but no bog (spent hours getting it straight), and better paint, his still looks as good as new.

I'd save and get the best of the best i've allowed $3k just for paint etc for my project car just to ensure that the finish i get now looks the same in 10 years

ok guys i have decided to not go with midnight blue i am either going to get some Galaxy or Narooma blue mixed up and paint it with one of them not sure yet