Mr Polson

XH rear bumper onto XF

So I have the opportunity to get a good condition XH bar for my ute at a good price if I want it.

It's a bolt up fit once I remove the XF bumperettes yeah?

As for the spare wheel, any way to keep it where it is? I DON'T want to have it in the fuel tank compartment as my ute does get used as a ute and guarantee I'd get a flat as soon as I had a load if it was in there.

And the other thing is what happens with the stock XF towbar, does it fit in the hole in the XH bar? If not what do I need to do to keep a towbar?

I did this conversion on my old ute. Afaik it bolted to the old brackets but i suggest you should be ready for some shimming with washers or the like as it may not clear the body perfectly as mine didnt.

With my existing towbar which was a medium duty item, i decided to upgrade to heavy duty whilst converting. Although with the right hardware, the towbar couldve worked, ie different gooseneck.

Hope this helps

The xh ute has a little winch under the rear of the tray rearward of the diff that is the tyre carrier, wouldnt be hard to dril out the weld the weld it to the floor of the xf. I havnt been under an xf ute so i can help with any of the exact wheres and hows of mounting. Im trying to remember how the bumper came off the xh i stripped but I cant exactly remember but was fairly straight forward. As for the towbar if it hit the bumper i would just trim some of the plastic so it doesnt hit as it should be fairly close.

one of My XFs  had an XH bumper, i dont like them either.

the towbar didnt stick out far enough but still worked just without trimming? ute came with it already on.

i had the spare under the fuel tank floor for 5 yrs.. only used it once.. reason was LPG tank.(worthwhile on the mainland)

i'd fix the bumperette and leave it as is personally.. (i'd even consider retrofitting the old stuff to an XH)

I wouldn't fit the newer one either. But since you are asking for advice, you could fit the XH spare wheel winch. They had those instead of a box. Same one on AU/BA/BF ute too. In saying that though they often fuck up.

Those winches are still used on a lot of new cars as well. So if you had the room on the rear and didnt want to use the xh winch you could go to the wreckers and find one you do like the look of. My missus has a 2012 mitsubishi outlander and that has a winch on it and just about every japanese tray back ute will have one. The one on the outlander is operated by a bolt head in the cargo area which Im sure could be adapted to work in a ute then you wouldnt need the extention bar with hook on it to reach under the car to undo the winch.

With that bumper you can't get the spare wheel carrier open, the tow bar is also usually a reece hitch on XH with a square end and the XF has a flat bar hitch.

You may need tow bar as well to suit the bumper.

I'd rather have a box for me spare wheel to sit in than a poxy winch underneath.

Have a look at this one........

http://www.ozfalcon.com.au/index.php?/topic/4408-a-few-xd-to-xh-ute-parts/

Bumperettes Rock!

Jack.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

I can try it on before getting it, see if I like it or not.

I do prefer the XD-XG spare wheel set up, great idea to have it in a box that can be accessed with a full tray and no need to fiddle around with a winch or anything.

Sounds like a bit of fiddling to get the towbar right, looking at a few pics the XH seems to have a bar (with towball) coming straight off a bar behind it, whereas XF has a bar right up the top and the bar for the towball comes down on a 45° angle before straightening out.

Think I'll try it on see how it looks.