Server maintenance Read more... ×
thorne

XH panelvan cruise control not working

Hey all,

Just purchased a 98 XH2 panelvan with cruise-control (has standard-issue EL steering wheel with the usual buttons). It worked a grand total of twice while I was freeway driving late at night just after I bought it (typical)......now, it just doesn't seem to be engaging. I hit the cruise "On" button and the light in the display comes on.....but hitting or holding "Set +" or even "Set -" doesn't engage it any more. Haven't really done anything before or since to warrant its refusal to engage, but this is my first car I've owned with cruise control so I'm at a loss as how to troubleshoot it!

I wasn't sure if it mattered, so I tried engaging it while on LPG then again on petrol, in Economy mode and then in Power.....still nothing. I know it's worked before, so what's the best way to find out how to fix it?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

all the brake light globes OK??

I know its a stupid question but you would be surprised.....

I believe so, but I'll have someone check with me tomorrow when I put the foot on the brake. Why? Cruise control won't work without correct braking signals? Guess it makes sense.

Usually e series cruise stops working because of a faulty brake light switch (on the pedal) or a faulty brake fail switch (in the side of the master cylinder)

Edit: is it an auto or manual? Manuals have a switch on the clutch pedal too

all the brake light globes OK??

I know its a stupid question but you would be surprised.....

Just came in from checking them: both brake-lights work fine, at both intensity levels (with the headlights on and when I step on the brake pedal). The vehicle passed an RWC earlier this month (wouldn't they check for things like that?).

Usually e series cruise stops working because of a faulty brake light switch (on the pedal) or a faulty brake fail switch (in the side of the master cylinder)

Edit: is it an auto or manual? Manuals have a switch on the clutch pedal too

My sin-bin is a 4-speed T-bar auto.

Where else should I start looking/checking? I must be honest, I'm not very under-the-hood savvy (one of the reasons I joined here, to learn more automotive stuff), so be as specific as you can!