slydog

Slydog's XF ute.

4,876 posts in this topic

Hey guys here's my 88XF Ute I have been playing with for a while now.

2013-02-16142909_zps2ec46296.jpg

Had a few engine combo's in it now,some worked others didn't really but the basis of it is as follows.

Bottom end:

252 cubes EF Crank,custom Powerbond balancer,custom girdle/windage tray,200 rods,Mahle slugs,11.7 comp,649 lift and 286 @50th duration solid cam,40th over grouted block with a chevy stud kit.

2012-08-20174429.jpg

nduction:

Ported C1A head by Marty White of John White race engines,chevy single groove valves,custom guide plates,Comp Cams 3/8th pushrods,BBC screw in studs,Scorpion rollers,Aussispeed 4 barrel manifold,650 ST HP Holley,Wilson 2" tapered spacer.

2012-12-29150232.jpg

2012-01-21165351-1.jpg

Exhaust: 

Single 3" from Pacemaker extractors into a DiFillipo 3" muffler and 3" mandrel pipe to the rear valence/bar.Soon to be a very custom twin 2.5 with help from Stu @ racres Choice in Sydney.

Igntion:

Modded TFI dizzy with a 6AL2 CDI and a HVC coil and Bosch leads to NGK BP9ES plugs.

2013-02-27190931_zpsd81b7815.jpg

Trans:

Manual C4 with 4600 stall extra clutches and a PWR cooler.EA series 2 wagon alloy tailshaft.

Diff:

ED wagon 28 spline disc brake unit with spooled 4:11 gear set.Soon to have triangle 4 link and coil overs.

Wheels: 

Weld Wheels Draglites 15x6 front 15x12 rear

Interior:

Stock bar needed gauges like,Autometer oil press,oil temp,water,Phantom 2 tacho,Inovate wideband sensor and colum mounted gauge.

Seems it's not overly happy unless It breaks something along the way so after 2 sets of Mahle 200 rods pistons and 3 camsahfts I have taken the step I should have years ago and gone for a forged bottom end and roller cam.

Last Saturday with a stock 260,000km bottom end @7200 RPM...

20130309_122308_zps9b49d92e.jpg

More to come guys...

SMIKXF, staids, Timo and 4 others like this

Awesome skid pic Rob :)

You've got the patience of a saint mate. No way I would have put up with the little trials that have befallen you on this build.

Love this cute Rob. Looks so stuff and hangs a mean looking skid. Great work and persistence with the build too. I'm learning a lot about crosses that I didn't before. Almost makes me want to build one up myself.

Good stuff.

Yeah I know and yes I have heard it all before but I just love the old thing and just can't give up on it.It will be a solid goer this time guys.Roller cam forged bottom end means I can safly give it some gas aswell...Oh yeah!

Well todays list of broken bits is surprisingly small...just the flexplate which I guess the stock unbalanced bottom end took care of.FYI that limit seems to be 7200rpm in top gear if your wondering...

2013-03-16150242_zpsdc6637a8.jpg

Worse part is that flex was balanced to the good bottom end :( but as it's getting a new forged bottom end I have to re balance the whole show anyway.

Breather finally turned up from Sydney after 9 days waiting...

2013-03-14180148_zpsab817743.jpg

Its got -8 fittings and a Moroso sticker on it so it's worth 7 times what it costs to make now? Anyway till the new donk is done the ute is having a sleep over in the shed as driving it as is will wreck more flexplates cos I just can't help but rev it.So I have to get a ring made up for it and order a new Magnum flexplate for it as Scat don't do one?

Till next breakage...  

Always liked this thread, it taught me that the 250s can be so tough, anyway what would the wheel speed be at those revs in top gear?

Oh not much really,be just on or just under 200kph due to tyre size and the 4.11 gear set.Even if it had 3.5's it would still only be 215-216kph on that tyre size anyway.

Whats that? I should get some 130lb valve springs and come to 7.2k town?
Ok Rob. I'm on it. I'll ring Camtech on Monday!

Whats that. 7.2k = always broken engine O.o  Ok, you talked me out of it. 5.7k town is cheaper.

That's some interesting flex plate carnage there!

​Moving on, You still putting the evac system on the zorst? +1 on getting that shit sorted before you drop the engine in again.

Give you a few tip on getting best angle and position too on the venturi feed if/when you need.

Loving the ute man the front is so sexy lol, Crazzy2278 hahaha im sorry but the profile pic still makes everything you say so fucking funny :P 

Yeah, let us know how that all goes Crazy.. Video results would be appreciated haha

X-F250 likes this

Hey robdog,great to see the Thread continue.

2013-02-16142909_zps2ec46296.jpg

Whats with the clapped out old useless diesel sitting on the front lawn though.

Hey Ants,you know how I feel about this ute,I can't give up on the old girl.The Truck is a mid 80's UD Pantek the neighbor got to convert into use for his sons Mod Production speedway car.Cluey bloke and the best welder I have come across.  

7200 RPM breakages would be interesting Rob !

Good pickup Ants you sniper

Ummm if you look at the flexplate there not that interesting...LOL

Whats that. 7.2k = always broken engine O.o  Ok, you talked me out of it. 5.7k town is cheaper.

That's some interesting flex plate carnage there!

​Moving on, You still putting the evac system on the zorst? +1 on getting that shit sorted before you drop the engine in again.

Give you a few tip on getting best angle and position too on the venturi feed if/when you need.

130lb doesn't get you to the outskirts let alone in town.Try 145lb on the seat as they need control to keep em closed but it only takes 360ish to keep em on the lobe at full lift.Plus that little baby hyd cam you have in there would have stopped making any useful power 2200rpm ago.The Vac-U- pan system is gone for the time being.If you look at the previous picture I got a basic breather tank for it as the engine has very very little blow by,but that may change when I go to the forged bottom end as the clearances are different and alot more :)

Loving the ute man the front is so sexy lol, Crazzy2278 hahaha im sorry but the profile pic still makes everything you say so fucking funny :P

Thanks bro,I like it too.

Yeah, let us know how that all goes Crazy.. Video results would be appreciated haha

Qis too scared to rev past 5500 (though it doesn't need to either,and I bet your happy you made the change now aren't you bro) Robbie so any ideas of him seeing time around 6000rpm let alone 7200rpm is just not gunna happen.

There's ALOT of plans on board for this ute in the engine compartment this time aswell and making the bay pretty.Some people like Tweaker have ummmm suggested I get onto it (and some not so liked people in different terms aswell) so atleast It it will look good in there for a while till I scratch shit out of it.I'll seam weld the bay out and fill smooth some areas but nothing over the top guys so don't expect too much or you will be sad.Big turn around will be the scoop is being remade in steel by Tony at Tuff pipes of Wagga to stop the flexing cracking between the glass to steel bonnet.It will slightly different though not much,still with rolled edges and the basic design but it will be ever so slightly tapered with a small peak/swage line in the middle.More like a scoop seen on a Fox Body stang like Campo's on his Blue twin turbo unit.Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm I'd love a little Foxy...maybe next up.

Anyway coffee time boys and girls...

robbie likes this

Can vouch for this ute,its mudda fooken TUFF!!!!!

Ha ha ha yeah you would have seen it @ Winton.Only lost one race out of 12 that day and to a supercharged FGXR8 ute and he only just got me in the top end!Spanked a heap of Commodores,a XW,Silvia drifter a Chevy powerd HG and a V8 powered LC who was nothing but smoke,but best was the bloke in the $80,000 Yellow GTS.Spoiled his weekend twice in a row and he was far from happy...LOL 

Was a good weekend and this year it should be better...ummmm I mean faster.Even throwing in two blue bottles this year.