Mr Polson

Building a Clevo

Sounds pretty decent, goes alright as well I'd imagine?

How dished are the pistons?

12cc from memory mate, would have to check the box to be sure.

Yep goes hard, lights up the 245's whenever i feel the need lol

I put one in a boat (just the baby thumpr) running a 351 with 302 heads and it was an animal didn't break a sweat pulling 4 skiers up at once

Why solid cam? I was planning on staying hydraulic. I'm not overly worried about high it can rev (my xflow has only gone higher than 4k once haha).

11 won't be too high will it? I'd like to run it on 95 rather than 98, not due to cost but availability in some places of Tassie.

WTF only 4000RPM my convertor hasn't started yet at them revs...LOL Thom is right bro and has a awesome combo there.Just remember if you go a small torquey cam you can't go to high in compression cos it will rattle like a diesel.

A good combination is what it's all about not the brand names on the parts.But remember to buy to a plan,not just buy a 850 carb cos it was cheap and a massive camshaft for a stock comp engine.

My xflow is old and tired, that's why its treated somewhat gently haha.

This isn't just another engine build for me, its my first and therefore a learning experience as well, that said I know to plan.and buy to the plan, even if it takes longer.

Well this thread sorta died off, kinda what happens with no money to actually consider buying parts... Been doing a lot of thinking though.

Definitely going to go down the 351 track. I have 302 rods and pistons, worth using the rods on the '51 crank? From what I know I'll need new pistons for that though?

Anything else I should look at for bottom end?

Heads I have the 2V closed chambers, could either have them slightly relieved to lower cr or get dished pistons, correct?

Intake manifolds and carbs I have no idea about, help?

Have got a basic HP idea, I'd like to imagine somewhere between 350 and 400 at the flywheel would be achievable? Or is that too optimistic without major money spending? CR I'd like to be able to run 95 unleaded, so around 10:1 (I think)??

Cam I figure may as well go solid if it'll be just as good - anyone able to actually explain the differences and pros/cons between solid and hydraulic?

Couple of questions to throw at you first, is it going to be a daily? What box are you planning to use? If it's not a daily what do you want/need it to be able to do will it be a highway cruiser or an around town look and sound good car? And for the solid v hydraulic cam, unless your chasing alot more power you don't need a solid plus there are.huge costs in setting up the valve train to cope with a solid (single groove valves, heavy springs, good quality collets and retainers, hardened pushrods, adjustable rockers, heads machines for screw in studs, oil restrictor kit) personally I would use the 302 rods as it's extra HP and torque across the whole rpm range with any Combo you could run

Nah not a daily, weekend/cruiser. Mostly highway, but I would like it to be driveable in the city.

Box I haven't decided on (not sure on options really) but keeping it manual. Don't know if T5s will cope with Clevo's?

In that case think I may stick with hydraulic cam.

So do I need special pistons for 302 rods on 351 crank?

The pistons are available, a t5 would last if you treated it nice but I wouldn't throw much more than 450 HP at one if it's an e series t5 but if it's an xf t5 I would be worried throwing more than 300HP at one. 450HP Is easily achieved with a clevo now days, personally for a cruiser I'd use a comp thumpr cam just purely for the sound, coupled with some 302 heads With the chambers opened up (10.5:1-11.0:1 comp will run on 95/98 octane) a little pocket porting, some roller rockers, 302 rods, a set of 4 into one extractors, and an intake of your choice (depends whether you want performance or keep the aircleaner under the bonnet) topped with a 750 cfm carby will make a nice package and somewhere between 390-430HP and be very reliable at the same time <br />

Seeing as I seem to want a similar combo I'll ask here. I like the combo you have in the custom line. In my LTD or Polson's ute it could go quicker. Low 13s is not too shabby. If it sounds like Tweakers with the thumpr then I'd be stoked. Only thing with mine is I already have tri-ys I'd prefer to use if applicable and I have to run straight gas. My clevo is a 302 which needs a birthday so sounds like a good candidate for the above.

arrr nice clevos, ill hang out here "puts feet up"

triYs work ive gone 11s on a little clevo with them someing like what thom is talking about 

im fitting the T5 to my ute in the next week ill tell you how it pans out, i just need a extra gear cause its not freeway freindley

You can use try y's but if your buying them your better off going 4 into one, a mate of mine has a 56" Vicky with a clevo in it (it has run 10's) on the engine dyno he gained 114HP and 78ftlb of torque, now I know this is more serious than the engines were talking about here but every engine I've seen with 4 into ones seems to be nicer than similar combos with try y's. (just because I can here's a video of the Cuzzo, the exhaust on it was complete garbage, it had stock manifolds with a twin 2" exhaust an no balance pipe, but it still ran high 13s in a car weighing 1600kg, better exhaust and a better tune would have ended up with faster times especially considering I bought that engine on a Wednesday, stripped it hot tanked it and re assembled it with stuff I already had and had it back in the car Friday and went to the drags Saturday.

/>

Rough running for a smaller cam dude. I fucked up my tune on the first clevo i ever built, for a relative stocky with comp I i'd go for a cam between 210-215 duration at .050"

have you 2 go something going on ,were there is thom ,heres eclipse,lol

chris fuck building a motor just save all you gold, wait till a good running 3shifty one pops up and buy it! then fitt a stage 2 competion cam and lifers ,extractomorgators ,and drive .

I've got 2V closed chamber heads on my 351, but i got 4V valves put in, well worth it!   600 vac sec holley and a torquey cam.   I would put a Funnelweb inlet on if i had the coin, they work really well, even more torque.  Have ditched the standard fan and am going to run a BF single thermo (once i get one from Ant!) Really great cruisers the clevos.