Sign in to follow this  
RAWDEAL

Who is running a LOKKA? What do you think of it ?

My project car is nearly on the road , and it just has a leaf sprung e series diff in it 

I was going to put a LOKKA in it as its only a pegger diff at the moment

whos running one?

are they any good ?

The price seems right for me , i dont like the whole clutch cones wearing out idea either 

Yeah I'm keen to hear any experiences. I was dead set on one but have moved away slightly, just no quite sure how they affect handling especially understeer. For the money they are defiantly worth a look. I think 4:15 mark of this video is quite telling as I would say the driver is on it

Yep activates when torque is applied and deactivates when no load is placed on diff. The first series clicked quite bad when driving around corners but newer ones were suppose to be ok . Apparently there is also a large driveline shunt when they do engage.

We run Lokka's in our line truck's Isuzu's and Canter's and the bang when engaging @ low low speeds like take off is horrendous. Makes me wonder how long the diff will last for.

That said with a car been MUCH lighter and the design may be different to compensate for it.  

They're quite expensive lumps of metal... On the upside though, you re-use your open centre so no need to fork out for a limo centre.

May need an adjustment in driving style (ie not too early on the power out of corners or off it too late going into them) but I've been told that they are livable in an everyday situation.

Well someone who would be prepared to live with it for it's advantages will have ZERO issues IMO if the car units are better than the truck stuff. I use a 31 spline full spool in my ute and have no complaints at all. Drive it around and too work on occasion and it drives fine TBH. Even taken it to buy beer and it doe's car parks easy as...just point and stab...most people just move out of your way :)    

Greg they are half the price of one of these http://www.harrop.com.au/store/driveline/truetrac/ford_xf-au  Also half the price of a kaaz which requires a fair bit of maintenance and also requires rebuilding when clutch plates wear

Just look on your tube for aussie locker noise or lokka noise or lokka issue you can kind of get the idea

They arent an lsd they are a locker. Lsd's are designed to slip on their clutches but the Lokka has no clutches it is either 100% wheels locked or operates like an open wheel diff when you are off the throttle.

the locker itself failed, i wasn't the first one either, lot of people i know have had issues with them.

i snapped plenty of axles with the spools etc

a tru-trac from VPW is the same price as a lokka, harrop rips on prices for detroit lockers, spewing they are the only company in aus that makes the TVS blowers.

http://vpw.com.au/Category/Index/6782

go the tru trac you won't look back.

Im guessing the centre pin snapped in the lokka??

Yeah I know eaton is cheaper but I cant find a part number for the 0578 e series BW. The only one I could find ws the harrop one which I do agree is a stupid price.

I've had a look at the Harrop ones, but at $1500 nz I'll just have to live with my factory LSD.

I spoke with a guy who has lokka diffs in his 4wd, says he can hear them clicking in and out.

In that link above that XC put up the detroit tru trak is 650 bucks and there is a 28 spline. The tru trak has a much better design without clutch packs and doesn't need to be adjusted. That is an LSD design.

Lockers are locked all the time, like welding up your centre, or chucking a spool in. You lose wheel nuts, break axles, and its a bitch to park, best suited for the track or burnout cars.

The Outbacks Hydatrak diff was one of the best produced LSD's around, but their downfall is they have a silicon filled centre, when this overheats the LSD loses function and can fail completely, and seen as the hydratrak coupling is not servicable, it's a new one (pretty much impossible to find now) or change it over for something else.

I will be going trutrak in my ute.

Jack.

It's funny how some diffs are brilliant and others are rubbish, even using the same design. Toyota still hasn't got their LSDs anywhere near right. Bloke at work who's owned 2 Hiluxes and a Cruiser reckons their limos are absolute shit, whereas the same clutch pack design in a Nissan Patrol he reckons work really well and for a long time.

Just rang VPW and they said the eaton is to suit BA onwards so thats the BW80. The only thing VPW have to offer is spools for a e series BW78. Thats pretty much inline with everything I have come across. The only options for a bw78 is standard lsd, 4wd systems lokka, kaaz lsd, harrop truetrac and spools.