wagoon

Wall thickness

Went to a truck parts place today for another reason and while I was there I enquired about exhaust tubing. I was quoted $17.40 for a 1 metre length of 2 1/4 inch OD with 1.8mm wall. I was fine until he got to wall thickness, I'm guessing that is a bit to much on the thick side?

So what are the generally excepted wall thickness of exhaust and does it change depending if it's in the extractors or in the exhaust system itself.

Thanks for that. So if 1.6mm is the norm would there be any disadvantage using the 1.8mm wall, I have calculated the weight difference between the 1.6mm and 1.8mm wall thickness to be 300 grams per metre so the weight is no big deal. The pipe OD is 2 1/4 inches so wall thickness only effects ID which is 2 1/8 inches

Usually mandrel bends are made from thinner wall thickness, makes them easier to bend apparently.  I would have no problem in using that wall thickness as it will be nice to weld.

The thinner wall tubing is cheaper, but can resonate a bit and give a slightly 'tinny' sound.  Maybe try Orrcon or one of the major steel suppliers - as up here they supply to all the exhaust shops - who then put their bit on top. 

Yeah Orrcon are the only steel mob I can find that do any pipe under 2mm wall, problem is it is 170km round trip to go get pipe from them. So the extra I have to pay for the above pipe makes up for the petrol I would use. Does $17.40 per metre sound expensive?