Server maintenance Read more... ×
SLO247

"Torco" intake manifold

A few years back I bought a 350 holley and it came with a manifold to suit.

Its a Torco or Torqo brand manifold. Looks like a copy of the redline 2 barrel, its for an alloy head.

Anyone know about these? Googling turned up very little aside from they make or made speed parts in the US.

I was planning to use it with the holley, extractors, 2.25" pipes and thermos (to hopefully free up a few more HP) on my XD 250.

Yeah that actually would be a step back from a Redline by the looks of it. I dunno what they were thinking when they designed it, probably would be a very slight advantage over the (very average) stock weber one. Still, going onto an XD, it would be replacing a single strommy, so anything would be better than that

Would it be worth getting the die grinder in the mouth there?

If its better than the Stromberg and manifold I'll use it, I already have it.

Or should I go the weber? I have a manifold but no Weber, had a mint one but sold it...

Thanks for the info.

If you've got a Dremel or die grinder, first thing you could do is tidy up the entry into the runners from the plenum. Air doesnt like sharp edges like that, so just put a nice little radius on each entry. Perhaps you could take a bit out of the short turn into 1 &6 to reduce the restriction.

Anything more than that will require opening it up and porting out the guts, re-profiling some of the runner mouths and maybe even cutting out some corners and welding in some rounded sections.

That's getting pretty involved and will be more trouble than it's worth.

D shape the top of that plenum and then hold on.  I think this manifold will work and I would not be touching 1 or 6 at all due to their dominance in the runner.

If there is a sharp edge in the entry to 2,3,4,&5 remove it on the high speed side (the top in plain speak) and on the inside of the runner. 

That manifold is so close to my 'Ray Hall - Cairns' 2 barrell manifold it is not funny.  Ray is not a dill let me tell you that straight up.  If his name is on it, I reckon it will work way better than stock.  In reality it probably will not hold a candle to the new aussiespeed design - but hey you have it - so why not try it - what is the worse that can happen?

Good info Ando thanks. I will do that.

I've never touched anything with the rotary tool, just a normal grinding stone?

I too have heard good things of the Ray Hall stuff so its promising to hear.

Just weird I've never seen another one of these.

I think I paid $50 for it, surely can't lose for that.

D shape the top of that plenum and then hold on. I think this manifold will work and I would not be touching 1 or 6 at all due to their dominance in the runner.

If there is a sharp edge in the entry to 2,3,4,&5 remove it on the high speed side (the top in plain speak) and on the inside of the runner.

That manifold is so close to my 'Ray Hall - Cairns' 2 barrell manifold it is not funny. Ray is not a dill let me tell you that straight up. If his name is on it, I reckon it will work way better than stock. In reality it probably will not hold a candle to the new aussiespeed design - but hey you have it - so why not try it - what is the worse that can happen?

I see what you're saying Ando about 1 & 6 but i just look at those tight turns and shake my head. If the insides of those long sections resemble the outside, it would sort of act like a bit of a plenum as well as a runner, so i get why you say it would be dominant.

My old red motor marine manifold had similar issues and after i opened up the inside radius on each runner (especially on the end cylinders) it gained 4kts top speed and was much smoother and torquier getting there.

Agreed, got nothing to lose by fitting it, except maybe fuel economy with the Holley.

All good info, really appreciate it. I'll put this all into practice when I go to fit it. Just got sick of wondering about it so thought id ask.

Economy isn't a concern as its only going to be a weekender.

I would put a modified stock manifold in front of that, the air/fuel would shear off the short turns into the runners something cronic. But like the other guys have said, you got it so you may as well try it.

Once he D shapes that plenum entry to the runner and smooths the transition I reckon it will be okay.  I have seem some stupidly ugly, home built manifolds perform way better than you expect them to. 

Gotta be worth a try at least...

That's interesting Rob - I must ask Ray about it next time I'm over there.  The Ray Hall one I have has a divided (two hole) plenum and the holes taper into the manifold but it could still do with a bit of tickle around the runner entries.  I'll do that before I send it down to Ryan for testing on 'Patches'.

For $50 its gotta be worth a go at least.  Agreed on the four barrel bringing them alive.