Stumps

looking for some one to make a manifold

Ok , i've been looking at a lot of US websites like classicinlines.com doing research on different carb setups for ford inline sixes and while most of what i found is based on pre crossflow 200's and 250's, i did find some very interesting setups that i reckon would work a treat on a worked crossflow engine especially this

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b534/fordrpo83/Mobile%20Uploads/img_7663_zps2a8c4d5b.jpg

I reckon with 3 BX stromys from an XC or XD setting up the linkages would be fairly easy as the factory accelerator cable would work with the center carb and you could set it as a progressive setup for both economy and performance.

The only issue i can see is with an inlet manifold, as i have no major fabricating skills i would need to get one made up, can any one reccommend anyone to do this?

The manifold would really just be based on the factory one with 2 more flanges for the other carbs as a common plenum would be beneficial to the progessive setup.

Can any one help with this?

could always do something like this 

a49db707-46ff-49fb-8793-be63d550442c.jpg

sorry photo dont show alot but it was running 3 x 2L cortina webbers had three manifolds but needed the equalizer pipes in to make a better setup mite get around to doing it one day

Would imagine you could cut 3 standard manifolds and keep runners 34 only. Then block off where the other runners where making sure that there were no dead zones that would trap air and/or fuel. Then repeat 2 other times. Simple. Sorry I have no idea on who might take on the task.

Would imagine you could cut 3 standard manifolds and keep runners 34 only. Then block off where the other runners where making sure that there were no dead zones that would trap air and/or fuel. Then repeat 2 other times. Simple. Sorry I have no idea on who might take on the task.

thats how mine were done but the hard part was get them all set the same plus to do the leads you needed to take the first manifold off

EFI manifolds dont lend themselves well to carby conversions due to their poor wet-flow characteristics compared to carby ones. Sharp corners, large plenums and unequal distances cause fuel to drop out of suspension, especially on multi-carb setups where velocity is lower.

What about a twin strommy setup using two cut-and-shut stocker manifolds? Twins are better balanced for an inline firing order (like a pair of 3-cylinders).

If it just has to be a triple then again you could cut and shut stock manifolds but 3 of them this time. 3 strommies would be way overkill, especially with a balance tube between them. Combined flow would equal a 4-barrel but would idle like a pig and drink like a fish. Each end carby would see uneven cylinder pulsing whereas the middle one would be even. The only proper triple setup would be webers, where each cylinder gets a barrel.

3 manifolds would be needed, using cylinder runners 3 & 4 like suggested above, the first manifold you would have to cut off 1,2,5 and 6 but leaving the mounting flange behind to weld the other runners to so to keep the correct bolt pattern for the head then weld the other 3 & 4 sections on and join the middle sections together and block off the ends, sounds simple but would be a heap of work and would cost $$$ to get done properly.

what ^^^^ said but maybe use the first part of the XF efi manifold and weld the flanges to that.  But as gerg has pointed out - I think it will be a pig and end up costing the same as webbers if you could not do the work yourself - but run a lot worse.

This is the only way to do webers...

1410567505893_zps10462135.jpg

I was going to make a custom manifold to suit 3x500 meth Holleys and the manifold was going to cost around $1600-$2000. More than the 3 carbs and more than my 50mm webers cost in the end. Really there is no cheap way out when out sourcing the work which in the end makes the pre made option the go IMO.

The other thing to think of is bonnet clearance.The front carb was going to be sticking out the bonnet on mine pretty well along with the 2nd carb air cleaner. Then the custom linkages and stuff.It is no where as easy or as cheap as you think. 

^^^^^^^ he's right. Even my set up was costly. Material was 250. I did all the machine work. Cut the head plate om a ban saw from copy of gasket. Made throttle shafts etc. I cant alloy weld So trumpets had to be welded to plate by a shop. 6 butterflies bbought. Linkages.Hymy joints are fuckon expensive. Especially l/h thread. Took a lot of fine tuning. I spent probably 30-35 hrs. So at paying someone @ $80-$100/hr plis parts etc it adds up quick. If I had to pay someone for the lot.......I would still have a carby.lol

With that said. I did want to go different from webbers/carby and this was a option. Old scool setup that works. So I was prepared.

Gerg, a twin stromberg setup is what i thought of first and i've had that idea for over 10 years, something similar to a 179 X2 holden setup but with slightly taller carb flanges so i could have a pair of 5 inch air cleaners poking through the bonnet on one side for a different look, but then i saw the ford Tri Power setups the yanks use...

The Tri power carbs setups use the center carb for cruising and using a staged progressive linkage system only open up the outer carbs when the throttle is floored.

The manifold would need to have a single log like plenum with the carbs placed along the top maybe something similar to a turbo manifold only with a smaller plenum and no throttle body at the front.

Just ideas i guess....but damn it would look cool.

look up wilsons engineering they are huge with drag racing making engines, manifolds the whole works and jerks even if you don't buy it's worth looking at

LOL been there done that!

Had the center 2 runners from 3 manifolds cut up and blocked off. 

It had a broom handle for the linkage and no tuning so it ran like shit but when it got up in the revs it went suprisingly well.

Exhaust was twin 2 1/4in out under the drivers door.

triples1.jpg

211as.jpg

cool setup Jca4, those are 32/36 webers right? what cam did you use with those as they would be a fair bit bigger than the BX strombergs I want to use?

cool setup Jca4, those are 32/36 webers right? what cam did you use with those as they would be a fair bit bigger than the BX strombergs I want to use?

thats sounds bout right for the carbs  the cam was a crow this is the specs for it the next cam up is a racing cam

14650 - FALCON 250 XD CAM

Specifications:

Part no   Adv. Duration         0.50“ Duration         Valve Lift       Lash Intake       Lash Exhaust        Lobe L/C

14650     Intake  Exhaust      Intake   Exhaust    Intake   Exhaust       HYD                  HYD

292        292           230        230          .522”     .522”                                                                 113

Correct me If i'm wrong but the manifold to head flanges on the alloy head are the same for all six ports right?

sort of had to make some of the holes off centre