Panko

Good fuel pump

Hi guys,

Just after a good a place to source decent fuel pumps. In this case for my XF wagon, the in-tank pump is the one im chasing, for an EFi wagon.

Yeah chris, your probably right. VDO cant go wrong. After all im running their gauges in the wagon, one of which is 40 years old lol.

Thanks Jack. I might go see those guys in person. I want to ask them about some other stuff as well.

I suspect my pump is going. I have a fuel surge issue when it gets under half a tank of fuel, and with the new fuel pressure gauge, i can see the pressure dropping off when i got around left hand bends (fuel running away from pump) but it dont think it should surge the way it does.

My red wagon does it now that it's running the EFI setup. The actual Ghia never used to.

I ran the pump dry a couple of times by mistake trying to start it, not realising I had no fuel. I mightve damaged mine from that.

Ever ran yours dry? Although yours has like more than 300,000km on it yeah?

I killed an old fuel pump from running it dry. But not this one. This pump has probably done about...120,000km. I put it in in 2008.

So just a quick question on the in tank fuel pumps...

All the ones on eBay and stuff (here) http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/261497139561?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

have a filter type pickup thing on the end, and actually look somewhat different to mine.

This is mine. Is it the wrong one? Or is mine missing bits? Or is it just design changes?

cfc46b16248438beab7a74c9b20571c0.jpg

There should be a mesh filter bag before the pump, (pick up).

Can't go wrong with VDO.

Dirt and debris will kill a pump, Some manufacturers wont honour a warranty if you didn't take the tank out and flush it. If you've ever done it and collected the shite that comes out, you'll know what I mean.

i remember when i replaced the pump back in 2008, it actually took me ages to get one. i had to do a fair bit of running around to find one. Hopefully that isn't the case now. 

Is it possible to move the fuel pump bracket lower? Then you could just use a longer bit of fuel line from the hard line to it.

If you can get the fuel pump foam surround you could even mount it lower than the bracket and cable tie it to the longer line, letting it sit lower.

With the filter on the end you shouldn't suck up any crap.

VDO make good pumps as well.

Jack.