Server maintenance Read more... ×
wagoon

Paint code help please

Trying to get some paint to spray my car after doing some body repairs. I tried the local parts place that mixes paint and also the local ford dealer spare parts but no one has the code listed. I have tried to take the best pic to show the true colour of the car as well as get a clear shot of the compliance plate. The colour on the outside of the car has been quite sun affected so the colours will most likely not match perfectly but I want them to be as close as possible. Cheers

20150102_164322_zps889b6b0d.jpg

20150102_164406_zps8ff4d530.jpg

Looks like a special code, maybe for a fleet car. Only one that comes to mind is Gilbarco Blue. Google search will show a result.

Usually they are only single letter codes.

Z760 is French Blue, information courtesy of AFF.

The reason why it's different to a standard colour code number or digit is it's what they call a "Fleet Colour", your car was originally ordered by a company and they had their own colour for their company cars.

Well thats very interesting. My car is a manual s pack that I bought off the original owner. It was a private car that he specced. Its an spack with no power options at all, not even steer. But does have a dick johnston turbo wing which was fitted just after delivery.

Have you rang 13FORD and got them to send you an information sheet yet wagoon? That will tell you if he really was the first owner. In saying that you could also specify anything you wanted on the build sheet, to get French Blue you may have just had to pick the code Z760, "tick the box" and thank you very much Mr Dealer.

Nah I havent rang ford yet as I only went looking for paint today. The guy at ford spare parts took details and I sent the same pics to him as above and he said he knows a guy at another dealer might help other wise he was going to contact ford for the sheet.

I work with the guy I bought it off so 100% he is original owner. I know what you saying with ticking boxes cause the car also has a ghia bonnet emblem thingy that he had put on. Never thought there was ever a reason to contact ford over a simple xe s pack. Does the colour in the pics above look like french blue? Cause I really only care about the colour cause I want to match it.

Take a part painted in that colour. Those guard bolts in the ID plate picture for example. An exterior part may be a better match though, the grill if colour coded is probably the easiest.

Yeah the bolt would work but as you said it wont match the outside anyway. Grill is black and there is no other trim parts painted in the body colour. If I get stuck on colour I will go with the bolt idea thanks

Yes, that's French Blue.

Gilbarco Blue was slightly lighter.

Lasers also came in French Blue.

Thought it reminded me of a Laser.

Must be a bad blue for fading, don't think I've ever seen the lasers quite that blue.

Update. Went into parts place this morning and asked for French Blue. There system had it under paint code E and N both were for years 1982 and 1983, guessing one is the falcon and the other is for the laser as mentioned above as both paints were identical in makeup. Mixed up the paint and it looks pretty much spot on. So big thank you to everyone for your input and help. Once again the knowledge here is outstanding.

Thought I would update this again. I have sprayed the rear quarter with 5 coats of colour and 5 coats of clear on each side. I stuffed up and didnt sand back the high fill enough but I think I did alright for my first attempt at proper painting. Well as proper as spray cans can be anyway. Colour seems to match pretty well, I will buff the clear after letting it sit for a while.

20150104_210917_zps0cd8d3a5.jpg

A good panel shop can match even faded paint, with a little gizmo they put on the panel and it identifies the colour, saturation and hue of the paint. Then they download it to the computer, and presto.......!