Server maintenance Read more... ×
wagoon

good operating temp??

I only ever ran a single 12" fan with the EWP before Q or someone got me onto the EF units on it now. I'll check if it's in the shed if you like ? 

Mate if you have it and you don't want it I will buy it off you, cheers

If you run your engine too cold, it will make your oil sludgy, and leave deposits in your engine. Also makes a big difference in fuel consumption, and emissions. 200* F is good, water boils at ~212*F, coolant boiling point is higher, coolant under pressure is higher still.

Never knew that one. Could have been another contributing factor to my turbo 250 wiping the cam lobe. When I pulled down the engine had no Thermostat. Should have clicked when I put in the turbo engine in & it ran a lot colder than the original one. No wonder I got the engine for a decent price. Is there any advantages to not running a thermostat?

Never knew that one. Could have been another contributing factor to my turbo 250 wiping the cam lobe. When I pulled down the engine had no Thermostat. Should have clicked when I put in the turbo engine in & it ran a lot colder than the original one. No wonder I got the engine for a decent price. Is there any advantages to not running a thermostat?

Only if said thermostat is jamed shut.

Even then I would recommend cutting the guts out & refitting the plate to offer some restriction of flow.

Is there any advantages to not running a thermostat?

Absolutely none, but there are plenty of reasons why you should:

* The hotter the engine, the more efficient it is (to a point, then knocking and seizing are issues). This is because heat loss to the cylinder when cold is greater than when hot. Heat is what causes expansion thus the more expansion (bang) the more torque.

* A hot engine atomises the fuel better, requiring less enrichment for the same power. Conversely, a cold engine needs to run rich because only a percentage of the fuel gets burnt properly. The rest goes out the exhaust.

* A cold engine has fuel condensing on the cylinder walls, diluting with the film of oil on them and ends up in the sump. An engine that runs cold a lot will have oil that smells like petrol. The oil thins out over time and loses its film strength.

* The Water pump needs a restriction to pump against (ie thermostat). Not having one causes a low pressure area in the middle of the impeller and a cavitation bubble forms, reducing the pump's efficiency and causing damage to the blades over time.

* A cold engine has poor emissions performance, and some functions may be disabled (ie can purge, egr). Not that anyone cares, but needs mention.

* A cold engine has looser clearances, so will use more oil.

* Cold oil has a high viscosity, and has poor splash lube capability (ie bores and camshaft)

So in summary, yes you should run a thermostat.

Nice one gerg.

Also, oil is designed to run at a certain temp, as is the engine block, clearances, emissions etc etc ....... Years of R & D, and thousands of dollars would have been spent, to make sure it all runs sweet at that range. At least that's what the propellor heads will tell ya. :D

gerg is all over it.  Always ran a complete thermostat - even in the burnout ute.

another thing I have found is that with no thermostat the water just blasts through the radiator back into the engine.  It doesn't have anytime to cool in the radiator because the water is just continually cycling.

With the thermostat, the water is held in the block so it can heat and this gives the water in the radiator more time to be exposed to cooling air.

Fuck Ryan...just seen this and yes I have the fan still. Send me your deets and I'll get it off to you. 

How bloody nice is that, I get abused cause you forgot to do something :lol:  All good dude no stress, I'm trying a few different things so wont worry about if for now.