Server maintenance Read more... ×
Panko

Installing alarm and remote locking in XF

Hi guys,

After having the XF broken into twice in the space of a few months a couple years ago, i bought i high end alarm system, with remote locking, but have never installed it.

So my first and main question is, does anyone know if the central locking in an xf is positive, or negative power to fire it? The instructions say i need to know, and wire the remote locking in the correct configuration to make it fire correctly.

Second of all, are they easy to install?

Hi Panko.

Installing a security system and remote locking in your XF Ghia is not simple, it's a bit of a PITA.

I will help you out with the remote central locking hookup.

The connection will be carried out at the driver's door lock switch area, so remove the door trim and have a look around.

There will be lots of wires going to the power window switch and to the central locking switch and the door lock switch along with a couple to the lock actuator motor and the power window motor.

The system you'll need to adopt for the XF central locking is what's known as the "alternating positive door lock" system.

You'll need 2 x 12 volt relays, each one with all 5 pins, max rating only needs to be around 10 amps.  You'll also need some red female spade terminals, preferably unsulated ones.

Locate the main 12 volt feed to the door, which will be the YELLOW wire.  You'll need to tap from this to supply the 2 relays.

Locate the 2 wires from the door lock actuator motor that run to the switch, these will be red with yellow trace (lock) and yellow with blue trace (unlock).  You'll be cutting these wires near the place where you'll be locating the two relays.

You will be using NEGATIVE trigger from your alarm to each relay for both lock and unlock.

The relays should each be marked with terminal numbers 85, 86, 87, 87a and 30.

One relay will be dedicated for LOCK and the other relay for UNLOCK.

From the YELLOW 12 volt feed wire tap 4 wires from it with spade connectors on the ends and connect these to terminals 87 and 85 on each of the two relays.

Choose one relay to be the LOCK relay. Cut the red/yellow (lock) wire that runs from the actuator to the switch, fit 2 spade terminals and connect the one that goes to the switch to terminal 87a, then connect the one that goes to the actuator to terminal 30.  Connect the LOCK negative pulse trigger wire from the alarm to terminal 86.

The same procedure for the UNLOCK relay:    Cut the blue/yellow (unlock) wire that runs from the actuator to the switch, fit 2 spade terminals and connect the one that goes to the switch to terminal 87a, then connect the one that goes to the actuator to terminal 30.  Connect the UNLOCK negative pulse trigger wire from the alarm to terminal 86.

Secure the relays in a safe area away from moving parts and ensure the terminals aren't touching any metal part of the vehicle.

Tidy the wiring using some zip ties.

Installation complete.

If you get stuck, or have questions, PM me.

Thanks mate,

That is brilliant bit of info. I will keep this bookmarked so i can give it a crack.

When you say the connections will be carried out in the driverd door, do you mean that the driver's door is the only door i have to do wiring in?

Thanks mate,

That is brilliant bit of info. I will keep this bookmarked so i can give it a crack.

When you say the connections will be carried out in the driverd door, do you mean that the driver's door is the only door i have to do wiring in?

The driver's door is the only door you need to access for the central locking part.  All locks will respond to this.

You'll need to run the two lock trigger wires from the alarm module through the rubber boot from the drivers kick panel area into the door.

The rest of the installation of your alarm will still have to be done of course, and it's mostly done under the driver's side dash, so you can easily access power and other areas like indicators, ignition wiring and so on.

Cheers.

Nice write up VDO, worth it's weight in gold, should be a sticky for central locking.

Good luck Panko :D

Jack.

Thanks Jack.

These instructions however, are for the XF with its "alternating positive" arrangement.

It may suit other models, but I would have to check.

Haha thanks again VDO. I havent started yet. Ill probably sit down and go through the wiring diagram on the alarm tomorrow. I have a small side project going on at the moment, and while i have the wagon locked away a garage, its relatively secure. Ill attack in soon though. Its something i have been needing to do for ages, just been too scared. However after wiring all my gauges up, i am a little more confident that i could do this.

Trying to install an alarm at the moment and need to know if the door switches are negative or positive switched?

On the door switch itself, one wire is green with yellow and one is black with blue.  Do I just tap into one of those?  If so, which one?

Any help/advice appreciated.