Trevor

best fuel pump

What do you blokes reckon is the best electric fuel pump?

We have gone through 2 Holley Blue's in nearly 3 years, burnt out the electric motors. I am investigating why, we have it hard wired to the battery through a relay, and am thinking that 14.2 charging volts when racing is just too much, but anyway we are thinking of going to a different brand of pump, any suggestions?

Just looked at the fitting isntructions for the Holley Blue and they recomend to wire it in like we have, so not sure why they are burning out, anyway what are good fuel pumps

sorry, should have explained more, there is a return regulator up front, with a return line to the tank, the pump is located below the fuel cell at the rear of the car.  we have the regulator set at 6 psi

Aeromotive or Magnafuel...a fuel pump controller could be added as your only feeding it hard when racing.I have a Aeromotive in the ute that was cheaper and turned out to be better than the 900hp rated billit holley unit it replaced.

I have a Barry Grant, it's been a good pump although a bit noisier than the Holley pumps. I do like the Aeromotive stuff aswell, would be my pump of choice if I had to upgrade.

It appears the problem was the filter we had before the pump, they (Holley) recommend 100 micron and we had one substantially less than that so the poor bloody pump was working its arse off trying to suck fuel through - dumb us!!!

Can I hack this thread and ask about my Goss low pressure 12v fuel pump that I have fitted to my dual fuel xf ute. It used to be ok but lately the car surges irregularly on petrol, I put a different fuel cutoff switch in the carby this afternoon and it's still playing up, then I noticed that the fuel pump clatters for a while then stops running completely. Is this the way the pump works or is my wiring playing up somewhere? Would appreciate any help, also added a pic of my pump but I am not using this pump filter, just a Baldwin steel cased filter. f7c594403bc57af437ba4af8efbf3a58.jpg

They're still a good pump those solid state ones. I'll be going to one of them if and when my mechanical one shits itself.

Sounds like you have a bit of shit caught in it. Just buy a new one for 40 bucks and away you go.

http://www.ebay.com.au/bhp/facet-fuel-pump

You should run a filter before it too. There are different pressure ratings so make sure you get the right one.

Cheers Gerg, that makes plenty of sence. I don't think the filter I am using is fine enough and maybe the pump is full of crap. I might start fresh with that pump that you suggested. Thanks a lot

It appears the problem was the filter we had before the pump, they (Holley) recommend 100 micron and we had one substantially less than that so the poor bloody pump was working its arse off trying to suck fuel through - dumb us!!!

hey may i ask. i always thought the filter would go after the pump. same as it does in EFI cars. as the pump can push through a filter but cant really suck through one.

clean fuel in the filter is also a good idea but cant see it working to well.

Ando, those pumps are a push pump, not a pull pump. Must be mounted next to the tank and 'push' the fuel up to the engine bay. If it's mounted in the bay, they struggle to pull fuel up.

Also fitting a filter with too fine a mesh, will cause the same issue.

Cheers bear, I was reading about my goss pump last night and I have got it pulling rather than pushing so I might have to have a tinker with it over the weekend to set it up how it's meant to be. Cheers for the help

hey may i ask. i always thought the filter would go after the pump. same as it does in EFI cars. as the pump can push through a filter but cant really suck through one.

clean fuel in the filter is also a good idea but cant see it working to well.

Mechanical fuel pumps are really good at sucking fuel up (hence why they can be mounted on a motor not near the fuel tank). So they're able to suck through most filters.

EFI pumps however are are lot better at pushing fuel than sucking it (generally) and that's why the filter is after the pump not before.

+1 for the a1000 especially if you already have a bypass reg... its pretty quiet in mine and its hard mounted in the boot they do recommend a 10 micron before and 100 micron after (could be other way around but either way course filter before fine filter after) and it works a treat.... can also use a voltage reducer on them depending on load but I haven't found a need for it