Panko

Show me your gauges

Hi guys, 

I want to mount 2, maybe 3 auxiliary gauges into the wagon, just to keep an eye on things. the main one i want to fit is fuel pressure (being EFi) and the other main one is volts. 

Yes my car is a ghia, and yes i have volts on the dash, but its only in bars, no numbers. I want something analogue that i can actually read. the third is oil pressure. 

so, my ideas was to mount them in the pocket in front of the manual shifter in the centre console (XF). who has mounted gauges down there before? how have you done it? 

please post photos to give me some ideas :) 

i pulled out the ashtray under the radio and fit a 2inch guage in there. i never mounted it properly but it fits in the cavity perfectly. You could probably make up a nice bracket/faceplate to go around them

took the factory console out and made my own. One thing you do have to consider mounting it there is angling the gauges up so that you can see them from your driving position. They're hard to see down there as it is, anything to make it easier. I'll try and get some photos when i have time

IMG_0340.jpg

Turns out i had one already, I havent cleaned up the welds on the front side (i got impatient and just wanted to get it on) but theres water temp, oil pressure and fuel. I had to get a fuel gauge because the LPG sender wasnt compatible with the factory fuel gauge

i was looking at just mounting them in the factory pocket down there, which is angled up anyway, but they are straight towards the back of the car, rather than towards the driver, which I'm ok with. 

I've got the AU console in mine and I'd really like to get my hands on one of these custom holders, however it seems to be impossible now..

7ED772D9-8F72-4740-9970-D47E7ABD90E4_zps

I'm actually contemplating getting some automotive styling clay and shaping it (slightly smaller than needed) then wrapping the clay in fibreglass. It'll be one hell of a job, but I'd have one killer out of the way gauge pod.

Just a simple sheet of 3mm aluminum bent to shape and fitted over the entire face plate as the hole was a lot larger than the B&M coverplate would cover.

then i just gave it a brushed finish with some 20 grit paper on the belt sander and then painted it flat black and then sanded off the face with some 600 which left the paint in the grooves and polished on the ridges.

Did something similar with the trip computer but out of 3mm perspex sheet

F79C1567.jpg

F79C1571.jpg

I really like that clint, how did you go with the pocket behind the hole? Is there enough room to put the gauges to go in without them getting cuaght up on the pocket behind?

Dunno about all states in Oz, but, (in SA - the Granny state) fuel pressure has to be mounted OUTSIDE the cabin. In case they leak and spray fuel all over the passenger while they're having a scoob.....Usually get mounted on the cowl in front of the driver.

Probably would be, but its easy enough to remove it anyways, just a few plastic clippy things and it falls off. its not like your going to ever use it are you LOL

Haha no i wont be haha.

Dunno about all states in Oz, but, (in SA - the Granny state) fuel pressure has to be mounted OUTSIDE the cabin. In case they leak and spray fuel all over the passenger while they're having a scoob.....Usually get mounted on the cowl in front of the driver.

Thats only for mechanical fuel pressure guages, where the gauge requires a fuel line up to the back of the gauge. We have the same rule in victoria. But the gauge i am ordering has an elctronic sender like an oil pressure gauge, so there is zero fuel inside the cabin

I've got mechanical gauges in my BnS basher. I used copper line for the oil pressure gauge instead of the nylond shit that comes with the gauge. I had a mechanical water temp gauge but it fucked up so i threw it in the bin.

Heres my setup

Started with 3 gauges under the dash

430601_392761710750254_754880612_n.jpg?o

Now back down to 2 gauges, relocated the UHF too

10273274_1000449549981464_31259555271166

10469302_1000449683314784_80115251246285

The tacho partly covers the speedo :P

1836727_1000452879981131_529398994196639

Copper oil line FTMFW!!

378668_322328767793549_438963162_n.jpg?o

387258_325381880821571_1626132144_n.jpg?

i wouldn't bother with a fuel pressure gauge as the factory fuel regs aren't rising rate and sit at a constant pressure (38 to 42psi, of memory), if you had and adjustable fuel reg, i'd be telling you to get one

yeah i agree George, but the reason i went with a fuel pressure gauge is mainly for monitoring it. i occasionally get fuel surge issues, where it would appear fuel pressure is dropping off. it could be as simple a fuel pump about to die, but at least ill be able to keep an eye on it. 

I'm moving everything from he XF to the XE so i'll use Water, Oil, Fuel on the centre console speaker grill and Tach and Wide Band on the right piller

2qi4lqe.jpg

rbh6oz.jpg

The wiring will be a nightmare this time thou as I'm not sure if I want to get the ARC-8000D or the ARC-12000D on the top right corner of the windscreen and the XE wiring harness is piss weak compared to the XF, simpler yes, weaker yes