XTREME KARTS XF

Door speaker install

Mark, i been working on door speakers for Goldie for months.

I bought a set of 6.5'' door speakers and then went about 'dummy fitting' one in an old door i had.

Man what a head f#*k that was!!!

I bought a set of these

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6-5-inch-165mm-GREY-CARPETED-MDF-SPEAKER-SPACERS-25mm-adaptors-carpet-/250861094111?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a687c84df

to 'lift the speaker away' from the glass for when it goes up and down 

but then had the problem of the XF window winder being to long and wouldn't allow the winder

to do complete revolutions as it would hit.

So, what to do?

Mate, buying the correct set of speakers would assist greatly here and as mine were nearly $200

i couldn't waste them.

So perhaps a smaller set of speakers like,,,,

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KENWOOD-KFC-E1365-5-1-4-E-SERIES-250W-2-WAY-SPEAKERS-PAIR-30W-RMS-CAR-AUDIO-NEW-/191306330236?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c8abef07c

would be ideal???

as they mite already have enough clearance for the glass window not to hit them and for the factory window winder to work correctly?

I also bought these to over come the window winder prob but it created a new one  :(

they look great but mount with a stupid old weak as piss grub screw.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOTROD-OR-CUSTOM-ALLOY-INNER-WINDOW-WINDERS-3-inch-INCLUDES-ALL-FITTINGS-/181433642629?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a3e49ae85

and on operation, they feel shit and want to come off.

I bought today from a wrecker some shorter factory handles off some car??? (they were already off in a box with a heap of others)

and im hoping tomorrow to make them work.

Id love for the other members to chime in, including pics and show what they have done in hope "im not missing something"

(c'mon team) and me and mark will be watching close.  ;)

Mark, here is my finished door with speaker set up (you get the idea)

I screwed the spacer to the trim from the other side and i put a long screw 

in the front and in to the door frame and just nipped it up to make it feel solid

and to help prevent vibration. I put the shorter window winder on i bought after i 'tweeked it' 

(had to drill a hole to mount it per Ford, it normally went on with the metal clip)

I have no idea what car it came off, but i think its a Toyota? of sorts.

Seems to want to work ok. 

007-3.jpg

Now please understand I'm not shitting on anyone here but the speaker should be mounted to the door not the trim as such. I know that makes it hard in a Falcon but you just have to be creative @ this time.

So if you mount the speaker and work out a nice angle for it so it clears your window crank and is angled up and towards the occupants you will get ALOT better staging and sound reproduction.Once you have that sorted then you scour wrecking yards or even visit your local trimmer for ideas on how to cover the left by the new install.Commodore door pods work well as there a good size and can be blended easily.The option taken by customs installers is some MDF,some fibre glass and bog. Get the shape height whatever how you like it then get your trimmer to cover it or do it your self.

Just saying :)   

There are actually spacers that go on the falcons door panels from factory that sit out and move the speaker away from the window when inside the door, were an optional extra on GLi's.

GLi speakers are in the dash.

I have a set here in the spare outback ute, should be easy to find at the wreckers.

Those spacers you made look quite neat mate, the factory ones are not carpeted.

Jack.

Here is how i squeezed mine in.

2 pieces of mdf stuck together, 1 had the cutout for the 5x7 driver and the other was cut into a square. then used a sander to round the edges so it matched the door trim and covered in some carpet.

the 5x7 shape allows a slightly larger driver while clearing the window winder. These type-r's have a huge ass on them too and this clears the window well.

Picture530.jpg

Picture510.jpg

Picture520.jpg

Picture529.jpg

There are actually spacers that go on the falcons door panels from factory that sit out and move the speaker away from the window when inside the door, were an optional extra on GLi's.

GLi speakers are in the dash.

I have a set here in the spare outback ute, should be easy to find at the wreckers.

Those spacers you made look quite neat mate, the factory ones are not carpeted.

Jack.

Picked up a pair eariler this week, they came out of an XG S Pac

Here is how i squeezed mine in.

2 pieces of mdf stuck together, 1 had the cutout for the 5x7 driver and the other was cut into a square. then used a sander to round the edges so it matched the door trim and covered in some carpet.

the 5x7 shape allows a slightly larger driver while clearing the window winder. These type-r's have a huge ass on them too and this clears the window well.

Picture530.jpg

Picture510.jpg

Picture520.jpg

Picture529.jpg

I like your work Q, very nice :) Might do that sorta thing with the XD.