SLO247

X Series AC.topic

This is for Sparky Dave to chime in with his knowledge of AC.

In this thread we can share knowledge, tech info and experiences with working on AC systems on X series cars.

The X series compressors are big clunky and ugly. remove them from your clevo - job done.

This thread is for 'Special' people like me and Dan, who want/like/aspire to have 'working Aircon' in our x-series. :)

Cause owning an x-series with working aircon, makes you feel just that little bit special. :P

Bring forth with the questions!

XD crossflow with factory AC. Sticker says r134a converted in 04. Looks to have had new lines at some point. Has a belt on compressor. The switch on the dash seems off so I need to fix that but I'm assuming it won't work anyway.

What am I looking for before I have it charged or charge it? Evidence of leaks everywhere I can see?

What would you reccomend to buy in terms of gauges/lines/vac pump etc for charging it? I'll try get Hychill for it.

I know the industry is tightly controlled but I'm hoping to give it all a go at home. I'm not interested in paying and being dependent on others.

Get a vacuum pump and gauge set off ebay.

A flushing tool/gun might be more difficult to get. Never tried to buy one from ebay.

The flushing fluid is exxy too - $120+ for 5ltrs.

To get a reliable AC system, you'll really need to disassemble everything,

flush the lines out - each section individually.

Including the evap and condenser cores.

If you can, make up adaptors to pressurise the cores with air - as high as you can go - 100PSI or more.

(The system - pipes, cores etc, will see 100psi+ at rest,

and 40-50psi low side / 150-200psi high side - in operation.)

Dunk the pressurised cores in a vessel of water, to see if they leak anywhere. - I'm talking microscopic leaks - porous solder joints and such.

Be patient with this step, and go over the entire cores.

Remove the compressor and drain all the old oil from it.

Replace with the Synthetic Oil.

Also check the compressor clutch bearings and general overall condition - for evidence of oil staining from leaking seals/gaskets etc.

Repair as necessary.

Refit everything.

Don't be afraid to re-use old o-rings, if they feel nice and pliable and look in good condition.

(let them sit in a shallow bath of compressor oil for a few mins beforehand though.)

Once re-assembled, draw a vacuum on the system in several stages, and let it sit for a few hrs, to see if it holds the vacuum.

If so, then introduce the correct charge of refrigerant monitor the pressures and temperatures,

tweak the refrigerant charge as necessary and enjoy!

Don't expect to see much change from $1k, to get your first AC system up and going again.

(that's DIY too, mind you)

Cool info. I've got to get the A/C working on my XF once it's all back on the road. Seems I'll probably have to have custom lines made up to mate the AU compressor with the XF condenser and core. Need to work out wiring to have the compressor switch on, though I'm not 100% convinced the A/C switch and wires on the heater box actually do anything.. May be a matter of handing a shop the credit card and closing my eyes while they charge me for it.

I got the xe air con working but a few weeks later it blew the lp hose from tx valve to compressor. Are the hose available or do I get one made. Mine is a flex hose and not solid tube..I put a rebuilt compressor, full service with r12 replacement alternative gas and locked the vents to push air face only. Worked well until it leaked in a cloud of smoke.

Any advise what's the best way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends where it leaked from exactly.

If it just burst the hose in the engine bay at one end, you could get another fitting crimped on the end.

Look up CoolDrive distribution or ADRAD, for aircon parts.

Being an all flexible hose from TX to comp, says that you likely have an aftermarket/ non genuine aircon system fitted to the car.

Do you have the options list, to show if it was a factory AC car or not?

Me and a mate of mine sucessfully got the A/C working on a ZH for a customer, second hand hoses, second hand compressor (crappy original york one) new TX valve, New dryer and new oilrings all around. Was going to use Minus 30 gas but ended up using R134a (850grams) and worked awesome, ice cold. Replaced a few cut/damaged vacumm lines on the a/c box and everything works. Can't wait to do the same on mine, but will use Minus 30 gas so should see even better results! Just goes to show that factory a/c can work sensational.

Looking to do the same on my XC GXL,   I have all the original integrated AC parts and keen to know how well your AC rebuild goes.

Are you staying with the original compressor for authenticity ?

XC GXL Mystery question,  Where is the switch for the Rear window demister ?

XC GXL Mystery question,  Where is the switch for the Rear window demister ?

Next to the heater controls on the LHS. Its an up and down switch.

Hi Platinum Blue, on my XC i completetly pulled apart the A/C box, checked and replaced any brocken vacuum lines, vcumm motors, pressure tested the heater core etc. So it should work very well. If you want the a/c to work far better i would stay away from the original york compressor, they are simply rubbish, run a modern one. XCs also have no actual a/c switch on the controls it simply comes on when the lever is in the MAX (recirculation) or Fresh (oustside air) with the fan turned on.

see pics in my project thread on the heaterbox: http://www.xfalcon.com/forums/index.php?/topic/30684-xc-fairmont-gxl-long-term-project/page-3

Thanks for the AC + Demister Switch info , I hadn't chased the wiring and  it seemed like something was missing

Like the work you did on the AC/ Heater box,

I have a spare unit that I can do up, and do a change over.

AC in a XC GXL , Coool

Thought i'd give an update on the A/C on my ZH fairlane. I replaced all the seals with new green ones,installed R134a gas fittings, installed a new TX valve and installed a new receiver dryer. I was going to use minus 30 gas but my mate didn't have the fitting to go on the can so we just installed good old R134a which is okay as i converted the system to run it anyways. So 850grams was filled as per Ford's instructions and results were far better than expected. A/C is literally freezing and works much better than my BA falcon! I'm so happy with the outcome and just goes to prove the factory a/c can work fantastic even with the crappy york compressor. Keep in mind the A/C box has not been touched, A/C compressor is original 78 stamped one, lines are all original along with the condenser. This all cost me under $200.

I can't wait to see how it will work in my XC as i have rebuilt the box, will be running the BF compressor and a XG/XF brand new condenser which is much better than a XC/ZH one, along with all brand new lines.

Will be great on car club runs and show and shine events, seeing people sweating their ass in vinyl seats while i'll be cruising with a jacket on as the A/C is soo cold hahaha

Here are some pics.

20150203_161236.jpg

20150203_174238.jpg

20150203_174305.jpg

20150203_174250.jpg

20150203_164236.jpg

And check this out, look how bloody cold it gets hahaha!

20150420_133851.jpg

20150420_133902.jpg