Server maintenance Read more... ×
Tweaker351

Clevo MSD Pro Billet Dizzy cap question

Hey guys the xd has been playing up a bit recently

After driving for more than 30 mins sometimes it will just cut out and wont start again till it cools down a bit or just whenever it wants to fire up again....

Now before you ask its not a fuel problem, ive checked all that.

So my next line of thought was maybe coil, so bought a new one and in the process of mucking around with it all ive taken the dizzy cap off and am a bit confused about the carbon bit in the middle that contacts to the rotor button......

In all the other dizzys ive played with the carbon bit(or whatever it is) sticks out a bit and is spring loaded so obviously has pressure on the rotor button at all times.

Ive noticed on mine it is only just flush with the outside surround, but can still be pushed up inside a little bit from the spring. So my question is this normal?

Has anyone got any pics of their MSD Pro Billet dizzy caps they can show me?

Im hoping this might be the problem lol, lot cheaper than a new 6al box etc.....

Oh and all this had only done max 1500k's since being installed so shouldn't really be worn out yet?

Thanks all!

Id say its the pickup in the dissy

Mine did it and ive replaced it and all good again. Mine died at 10km again at 120 and then craped itself totally at 800km

There is a way to test your MSD box, you lift the coil wire and hold it across the coil so it can just a spark and unplug the pickup trigger wire and with the key on loop the 2 together as in strike it across the 2 and the coil will jump a spark if this works the box is ok its the pickup

To test the pick up you messure oms if its over 800 I think its ok under its dead replace it, you will find they just come back to life mine did a few times  

Nothing else goes worng with the dissy itself if the box is ok replace the pickup 

I'll be a plus one on the pick up, mine give me trouble for 2 months before i worked it out, when you replace it make sure you have the magnet underneath the right way around and the gap is right

Thanks guys, well then I will grab a new pick up for it and see how she goes

Its just a pain in the arse gremlin that I want to fix coz im too scared to drive it too far at the moment. Need her to be reliable for the nice weather coming up!

Hey did the new pickup in the distributor fix this. My car has the same issue it cuts out and wont restart. If you leave it for 5 mins or so it just starts back up just fine.

It has a new coil, cap & rotor.

I'm in the same situation i don't want to drive it far as i cant trust it at the moment.