Sign in to follow this  
steve mcqueen

X series ute tailgate's

Hey team.

Im looking to get a replacement X series tailgate for a mates XF ute 

over the next couple of weeks. There are some sellers of these on 

evil bay and wanted your opinions on these after market tailgates.

So,,,,, Have you ever bought one and what was the fit and finish like?

Links please if you can help out or just some feed back.  :) 

i brought one about five years ago and it looks and fits fine. there's no ripples or anything in it so im more than happy. unfortunately i don't remember the brand so this isn't much help to you but i think the key is too not buy the cheapest one on there haha

That dont sound real well. thanks for the heads up.

at a guess, the original weighs twice as much.

reskinning an original or finding a good second hand one and fixing the dents would be the go if you use the ute for duties.

the aftermarket ones i have seen, (and had) were straight and fit well, much lighter. but BEND very easy.

don't stand or sit in the middle of them.

So thats why the tailgate bent when i was at Finley BnS, someones XF ball ute had one of those re-pop tailgates and it bent lol.

at a guess, the original weighs twice as much.

reskinning an original or finding a good second hand one and fixing the dents would be the go if you use the ute for duties.

Re skinning this bad boy im gonna say is a no go as the inside skin is shagged and rusted out to.

If i can get a good second hand Ford item id be real happy.

I haven't looked yet for one so ill go see whats out there.

Another thing to remember is trying to get the old one off. Start soaking the bolts in wd40 or rots off from wurth if you can get some. These bolts always seem to seize from the thread rusting inside the tailgate. If it's a late model xf (1988 on) make sure you eat your weetbix in the morning before trying to undo the Allen key bolts, they are a nightmare!,

Thanks XF001 for the mention

Yeah I have just taken a tailgate off an XH and can confirm that many a weetbix are needed to remove the hex head bolt, but I only have a small L shaped handle for undoing the bolts as none of my ratcheting screw driver handles were strong enough to remove the bolt. I used CRC and left soak for 5 minutes which got 5 out of the 6 loose. With the last one I just used a small hammer and tapped the bracket to help loosen what the crc couldnt and it came out no worries.

Falcon ute tailgates are the same from 78 to 98 (I think).

XD-XH anyway.

I have a 89 ute and it has just Phillips head screws, could've easily been out and had new screws in though.

I thought they looked the same but never knew for sure. Awesome.

If you can get a decent genuine one grab it. I bent my aftermarket one a few months after painting the car. Pissed me right off.

They are the same from 72-99, xa-xh.

unbelievable!  

i guess they figure that if something works well, why bother changing it? which would be why the ute bodies where the same for so many models. makes it easy to get certain parts at least

If you do settle on an aftermarket gate steve then be sure to run a few stitches of weld around the seams as they are simply pressed over and then a bit of seal sealer worked over it.

They twist and carry on and you can never get alignment to stay spot on with the skin not bonded to the frame. Only needs a few tacks but obviously the more you do along the long sides will help aid in strength too.