eattsie9

Xf power steering conversion

Hi Guys

I am going to be converting my xf to power steering. I have all the required parts sitting in my old xf just need to remove it.

My question is does anybody know if this is an engine out job? Or is it possible to get the bits in and running the fluid lines with engine still in?

Cheers

Pretty straight forward to do, you'll need a pump, belt, pump mount backet and bolts, spacers for the pump, pulley to bolt onto the harmonic balancer along with the bolts (XC-XE are 3 bolt while XF is 4 bolt) P/S box, lines and a hammer for the column to be given some love as the column shaft lengths are different between manual and P/S. The column will need to be tapped up about 1 inch, be sure to do it in small increments. Also the pitman arms are different between manual and P/S.

If your really good you can do it in a day.

Im pretty sure that i have a pump mount bracket and mount bolts in the shed somewhere, i'll have to check first.

Awesome sounds straight forward and it's do able with engine still in? I should have all the parts coz my old xf come parts car has power steering was just gonna replace seals n shit and swap over, could I just swap columns aswell or is that a prick to do?

What gearbox are you using in this car?

4/5 speed manual   or 

column shift auto    or

T-bar auto????

If using the column shift auto doesn't 

the steering column interfere with the power steer box?

I remember this was talked about age's ago on another forum and im just double checking before

this guy starts pulling the whole shebang apart.

My record. I'm sure someone would have shaved a minute off that time somewhere along the line.

1986, so 28 years.  Between 2 of us we were doing between 10 and 15 cars a day flat out for about 2 months when Power Steering became std equipment and Ford dealers couldn't sell manual steer floor stock.

Quick question, still haven't done this swap :P been doing other work. Is there any reason I couldnt use a few long lengths of braided hose in place of the factory hydraulic lines to make it easier to fit with engine in? One I can think of is the line would probably be pretty expensive :P

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

Quick question, still haven't done this swap :P been doing other work. Is there any reason I couldnt use a few long lengths of braided hose in place of the factory hydraulic lines to make it easier to fit with engine in? One I can think of is the line would probably be pretty expensive :P

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

hardest part of the hard lines fit up is the mounting clips into the chassis mounts.. if you were to use P clamps tek screwed in that would be simple.

Hi, thanks for letting me join, I have an xf ute (pic to be posted soon) that I'm hoping to put power steering on. Have everything but the mounting bracket for the pump and the pulley wheel, but I'm a bit confused about the previous steering column messages. My xf has three on the tree manual, the donor has a steering column from a column mounted auto. Apart from the obvious tits and tyres analogy...am I gonna have trouble?

16 minutes ago, cooko said:

Hi, thanks for letting me join, I have an xf ute (pic to be posted soon) that I'm hoping to put power steering on. Have everything but the mounting bracket for the pump and the pulley wheel, but I'm a bit confused about the previous steering column messages. My xf has three on the tree manual, the donor has a steering column from a column mounted auto. Apart from the obvious tits and tyres analogy...am I gonna have trouble?

@Mr Polson i can't remember if you had it or fitted it or didn't?

Can't fit power steer to a three speed manual unfortunately. The shift linkages will foul on the bigger power steering box. You'll have to stay manual steer or convert to a 4 or 5 speed on the floor.
[mention=21]Mr Polson[/mention] i can't remember if you had it or fitted it or didn't?
Ute didn't (and still doesn't) have power steer, but I did fit a ZL column to it, had to extend the length to suit the manual steer box.