Sign in to follow this  
KRUPTOR

XE Falcon 4.1 efi 83 model,stalling while driving.

Ok,my 83 model XE 4.1 efi falcon stalls while driving.When it stalls you can leave the car to roll and put it into neutral and start straight back up no dramas,then drive roughly 20m and the same again......

Any of you guys come across this????

no he said its efi ,so dont touch the dizzy ,why is that everyones 1st thing to pick,tfi module should be fine,check for air leaks,then move on to idle speed motor ,also on the side of the air box inlet theres an air mass metre check that the plug hasnt come out or loose ,also check that the little wire in there were the air flows through is intact ,dont touch it 

The xe will run with the airflow plug disconnected so i dont think thats the issue.As for the airflow meter i had to readjust the metering arm inside as it had jammed itself.As for vaccum leaks there are none present,however i had to fix a couple when i had it running at an earlier stage.You could be under power or just light throttle or foot off the power pedal and it will stall.But if you put it into Neutral and retsart the engine it will start up fine and run till it cuts out again.I checked the plug on the ecu aswell.

What about a poor earth???Would that cause my drama???It starts up fine and revs fine in park and then hop in the car and drive down the driveway onto the road drive a couple of houses down and then it will stall.......

no he said its efi ,so dont touch the dizzy ,why is that everyones 1st thing to pick,tfi module should be fine,check for air leaks,then move on to idle speed motor ,also on the side of the air box inlet theres an air mass metre check that the plug hasnt come out or loose ,also check that the little wire in there were the air flows through is intact ,dont touch it 

XE is a fuel only injection setup so runs the solid state dizzy the same as the carby models so tfi module is out, have you got an immobiliser? Do you have to redo it to start again? Could be faulty. Faulty earth is possible also or maybe a fuel pump relay, when it stalls next time try and listen to see if the pump is still running. Otherwise problems like these are a bastard to chase.

Control relay i rewired up another new one as the old one was no good.I fitted a new fuel pump.No immobiliser,

It will start up easy,idle fine and rev fine in park,when driving would roughly be every 20-30m then it would cut out.Doesnt labour,for example not like a carby with a blocked fuel filter.Bumps dont affect it.I can load in up in drive in my driveway with foot on brake and bring the revs up and doesnt stall.

Will it stall when idling?

Is it predictable? Or sometimes 100 meters and sometimes 100km?
Will bumps cause it?

Does it labor before stalling or just suddenly cut out?

HAhahha Umm well. Ok Look at your air flow meter. Its gotta be an ECU issue. and i know the ecu hates to co-operate when the AFM is dicked with. Make sure the metering vein moves freely and the wiring is in good condition. Might be worth running con checks from the AFM plug to the ECU plug to ensure wiring is ok. then try swapping out the AFM.

also check your TPS. Use a multimeter and measure for a linear resistance different between either outside pin and the center pin as the acellerator is pressed.

Does it use alot of fuel or blow any smoke? Pull the plugs and check condition, see if they are running lean or rich. (fouled up or burned dry)

Next thing you can can check if the water temp sensor is reading correctly.

Temp  Resistance
 5          86650
19         26000
99          2135

Yes i used a multimeter set to volts.

i have also tryed a new ignition coil as well.

Didnt get a chance to look at it today but will have another go at it on the long weekend.

... But did you test it with a multimeter?

set it to ohm, Pull the plug off the tps and put one of the multimeter leads on either outside pin and the other lead on the center pin. move the butterfly and you should see a linear change in resistance. any gaps or dead/high spots indicate the tps is worn out.
But usually this could cause rough running a moment before it stalls, not a hard stall

Could be water in the fuel tank mabe, when you go forward fuel rushes back and picks a heap of water up? its a long shot i know..

I had the same thing years ago and it was a tfi module that was faulty

The xe and efi doesn't have a tfi dizzy.. Fuel only injection control bro.

As mentioned before on fb. Process of elimination.

Check for

all vacuum leaks.

Idle speed motor.

Your coil

Your relays