Sign in to follow this  
unfamilia

remote hot start set up? how do I???

My ignition is playing up on the start end of the Barrel. I bridged the pos terminal and ignition tab on the starter to test it and started first go.

I need to order a new ignition barrel from overseas (not for a Ford) so how can I wire up this set up til it arrives (6-8 weeks).

I know I could use just a momentary switch and 20 amp wires onto cabin but I would have thought a relay or fuse should be used as one wire will get permanent + from the starter terminal?

Basic diagram anyone?

You'll find that your ignition is wired that way anyway (constant 12v to starter switch) so don't be too worried about it. Your starter solenoid normally draws 8 amps initial and 4 amps constant, so a 20 amp switch would be fine. No need to fuck around with relays, ect.

Sounds like a common Honda and Toyota fault. If your still getting a little voltage throught but not enough to engage the starter solenoid I'd just be wiring up a starter relay instead of replacing the ignition barrel. It'd only set you back $20 or less.

Got a diagram for the wiring?

I'd like it to be only active when key is in to on position on the standard ignition switch so can't be bumped when no key in the Barrel.

So my thoughts are splice into wire on ignition switch for power at on position and the wire that bumps the solenoid. not sure how to wire it in with relay if urs needed. If i wired it to just tgese two wires woukd it draw too many amps to bump start? I need a pic as I'm a visual person

What type of car is this?<br />I have successfully pulled apart Honda, Toyota and commodore ignition switches, cleaned and in some cases, soldered the contacts, put it back together and it worked fine.

Well I wired it all up works as it should then spoke to a mate that's a sparky, he said just hook up switch from near ignition switch from acc power when In on position and into the trigger wire to solenoid. That's all the ignition switch does at that position and it's fused already.

Wired it up will try in morning

Tested the 2 wire set up today, much neater

only 10cm of wire not 2m of It.

Works a charm only allows signal on "on" position and only if you hold the switch.

Strangely the stock barell worked intermittently at the start position so I could test the wiring with a light probe.