Sign in to follow this  
Mr Polson

AC vs Non AC water pump (xflow)

Hey guys

As part of the Ghia conversion on the wagon I'm installing AC.

Now parts stores like Repco and stuff list different water pumps for A/C and non A/C, but both my regular mechanic and my old man (ex Ford mechanic) have said I shouldn't need to change it.

So what's the difference between the two and do I need to change the pump or not? It currently has an original Ford (non AC) water pump on it.

The only difference would be on XD where factory A/C had the clutch fan and non A/C had a fixed fan.

Non A/C water pump (NO CLUTCH FAN) had no fan thread and a different pulley bolt pattern compared to the A/C water pump (CLUTCH FAN).

All XE and XF had Clutch fans factory, all XEs and Non A/C XFs had a steel one and A/C XFs had a Plastic one, they all used the same clutch and water pump.

Some water pumps come with different impellers but this just depends on the brand of pump.

The only difference would be on XD where factory A/C had the clutch fan and non A/C had a fixed fan.

Non A/C water pump (NO CLUTCH FAN) had no fan thread and a different pulley bolt pattern compared to the A/C water pump (CLUTCH FAN).

All XE and XF had Clutch fans factory, all XEs and Non A/C XFs had a steel one and A/C XFs had a Plastic one, they all used the same clutch and water pump.

Some water pumps come with different impellers but this just depends on the brand of pump.

XD 6 cylinder's with A/C had the 7 blade "flexblade fan" while non A/C models used the 4 blade fan. The only XD models to be fitted with the clutch fan were V8 models. My XF ute is a 1992 model and it had the plastic fan instead of the steel, Ford must've run out of the steel ones and made the plastic ones as standed fitment.

XD 6 cylinder's with A/C had the 7 blade "flexblade fan" while non A/C models used the 4 blade fan. The only XD models to be fitted with the clutch fan were V8 models. My XF ute is a 1992 model and it had the plastic fan instead of the steel, Ford must've run out of the steel ones and made the plastic ones as standed fitment.

Now that I think about it I had an early cast iron XD Ghia with factory A/C and it had the 7 blade flex fan, but I also had a febuary 82 alloy head XD GL with what looked like factory A/C (York compressor, 2 belt water pump, A/C, and ALT pulleys) and it had a steel clutch fan, it could have been original (looked original) or it could have been changed at some point.

I looked in my Factory XD manual and it does not show clutch fans on 6 cylinders only on V8s, like you said.

Maybe the GL above had XE stuff on it been a very late XD.

My last van was a 89 XF and it had a steel fan when I bought it, I ended up changed it to a plastic one.

By 92 Ford were probably fitting what they had around, as the XG was close to been released.

Mark I thought your ute had AC when you got it but you removed it?