Server maintenance Read more... ×
Ando81

Master cylinder leak

Hi lads, my xf ute brake master cylinder is leaking a small amount of fluid onto the front of the booster and I was just wondering if it's worth trying to replace the seal or throw it out and start fresh. It looks like a genuine part so it's done a good job. Also if I get a new one, what is a good brand to go with and where from. Thanks in advance

^^^^ ha ha that reminds me of the time my xe shit the booster on me whilst towing my speedway car to a local race track. It was a bit of a worry travelling through the next 20km of bends and hills with a pedal that felt like a brick

Had my EF booster fail on me in traffic very suddenly... Lets just say it was lucky the centre divider in the road happened to not have any trees right at that point, as that's where I had to point the car to avoid slamming someone up the arse.... Stupid plastic boosters.

So after many busy weekends I decided to replace my master cylinder today. All went well until bleeding the last caliper, front right and the bleeder thread was shagged and I had to remove the caliper and put the bleeder in the vice to remove it, which in turn stuffed the alloy thread in the caliper. Does anyone know if xg are the same as xf girloc front calipers?

So after many busy weekends I decided to replace my master cylinder today. All went well until bleeding the last caliper, front right and the bleeder thread was shagged and I had to remove the caliper and put the bleeder in the vice to remove it, which in turn stuffed the alloy thread in the caliper. Does anyone know if xg are the same as xf girloc front calipers?

They are the same calipers on the front mate between both models. (rears I think are different).

Get yaself a set of bleed nipple spanners from repco, well worth it.

Jack.

Thanks Jack, I can get hold of a good second hand xg one off a mate. I was using my Sidchrome brake line spanner but I think there was a bit of sand down in the thread and as I screwed the bleeder out, it just ate further into the alloy caliper.

Got it sorted with an xe girlock caliper from a mate. Pedal seems firmer than usual but hopefully it's just coz his xe caliper is a bit old and stiff. I'm hoping with a bit of use it will free up.