XFGHIA747

Can You change 2.77 lsd Diff Centre

Just asking guys if I can change the gear sets on my 2.77 lsd diff centre in my xf ghia, I know later ones can be changed but I have a mate that tryed it once and said it doesnt work? Can someone please confirm why it cant be changed and if it was what was used ? Cheers

Afaik, 2.77 are different carrier so you'll have to change the whole centre and have it reshimmed and stuff rather than just a gear swap

If i remember rightly, the old BW diff housings had to be heated up, or bent to swap gear sets.

From another thread:

My diff housing squasher:

depe7upe.jpg

The correct method uses a tool that locates in holes either side of the face and pushes the housing apart. Mine squashes it top to bottom for a similar effect and it (somehow) works.

That's to remove the preload on the carrier bearings so you can get the carrier out. All Borgie diffs are that way. The pinion comes out through the back after you pull out the carrier.

You can often pull apart an old diff without the spreader because the bearings are worn and the preload has been lost. Going back together you need it though, the housing needs a couple of thou of preload to be correct. You take your measurements from across the bearing caps using a dial gauge.

Building any integral-carrier diff properly is very time-consuming and most folks just throw them together and they work most of the time.

That's to remove the preload on the carrier bearings so you can get the carrier out. All Borgie diffs are that way. The pinion comes out through the back after you pull out the carrier.

You can often pull apart an old diff without the spreader because the bearings are worn and the preload has been lost. Going back together you need it though, the housing needs a couple of thou of preload to be correct. You take your measurements from across the bearing caps using a dial gauge.

Building any integral-carrier diff properly is very time-consuming and most folks just throw them together and they work most of the time.

thanks for that gerg i have always just put them togeather and never had a problem i cant even say i have seen my brother inlaw use one on his race car

From another thread:

My diff housing squasher:

depe7upe.jpg

The correct method uses a tool that locates in holes either side of the face and pushes the housing apart. Mine squashes it top to bottom for a similar effect and it (somehow) works.

THAT is awesome.! Would never have thought of that gizmo. Top marks.

Ya live and learn, everyday. :)

Just asking guys if I can change the gear sets on my 2.77 lsd diff centre in my xf ghia, I know later ones can be changed but I have a mate that tryed it once and said it doesnt work? Can someone please confirm why it cant be changed and if it was what was used ? Cheers

Sorry we're going off topic... From what I understand, ratios up to and including 2.77 ratio use the 0575 type housing and carrier, with different pinion bearings to suit. 2.92 ratios and above use the 0578 housing and gearsets. There are better experts on here that know the intricate differences but as stated it's just easier to swap in a later 0578 housing and you'll get 4-pinion carrier and 28-spline with it too. Hand brake might give trouble though.

Edited: 0575 and 0578 series instead of 075 & 078

That's a great thread n00bus, answers a lot of questions if you take the time to digest it. Got another question: I seem to remember an ultra-tall ratio that came with XD-XE 351 pursuit cars. I think it was around 2.6 ratio... Or am I on drugs? Would make a great cruising ratio for a 4-speed or non-OD auto.