Sign in to follow this  
Thom

Cable to hydraulic pedal box

Hey, just gathering some info while im still gathering parts to put the 351 in my XE. It currently a 250 4 speed car and will become a 351 5 speed car, what id like Tp know is how hard is it to change a cable pedal box to hydraulic or am i better off using an auto pedal box?

The main problem with the cable peddle is it pivots in the wrong spot & will keep cracking your master cylinder untill you get the right pedal & longer brake/clutch pedal pin. You can lop the old pivot of if you can't find the right pedal box assembly. The auto ones sometimes don't have the steel bush pressed into the pedal box housing for the extra weight of the clutch pedal.

I'm going this right now, with the benefit of my XB coupe as a donor car. Yes you can lop off the cable pedal pivot and the new hydraulic pivot is nothing more than a longer brake pedal shaft that sticks out the side of the pedal box. The hole should already be there for the master cyl to bolt up, just the pedal to go in and you're right.

At a pinch, the longer pedal shaft could be fabbed out of a long bolt (I think they're 5/8") and split pinned each end. The cable pedal could be adapted if you're not bad with a welder, just need to find the right bits of scrap lying around and get creative. I know I've done dodgier shit than that before.