Sign in to follow this  
xfish

AU XR8 vs EL XR8

Hey guys, i'm still playing with my EL Xr8, and still replacing things as I go along, and my next thing is the fuel pump.. Can someone confirm that the fuel pump that is in a 05/98 ELxr8, is the same as the AU XR8.  I purchased a 'direct replacement' for a EL XR8, but the buyer on ebay stated I needed the AU fuel pump, that comes with the float etc. It seems they changed the fuel pump in the 185kw XR8's.

the el is el the au is au ,the pumps as I remember it are around 80psi ,there is no hipo v8 pump, as the fuel lines remain primed constantly with fuel and with a return flow to the tank ,the AU v8 is a better motor imo, the el ran the worn out EB roller unit, people rave and bullshit on about hipo, pumps from factory ,it is all bs! ford like all manufacturers are tight arses and wouldnt design a pump just for the 185kw model.i mean u take a pump from an el 6cyl and itl run the v8 fine!!! I also remember when I worked in ford spares micro cat listed the same pump for 6& 8, also fitting the au unit to your tank ,will make no sence as the fuel sender ISNT  compatible, so send the pump and sender back for a full refund and tell the seller he,s an idiot.. 

The au pump setup is worlds above an early e series as they have a captive swirl pot pickup on them to prevent fuel starvation in cornering or braking as well as preventing an air vortex when low in tank level which i know is an issue with earlier ones that just have a filter sock. I cant say for el but the pump itself would be identical.

the el tank has a small captive tank that the pump sits in inside the tank ,to stop fuel starvation ,the only way a efi car will starve through corners or race tracks is if u run less then 10 litres in the tank

Hey, so regardless of whatever setup i have, i will be able to attach the normal EL electric fuel pump to my assembley. I assume that the pump has never been replaced since factory, since the cover is glued down.