Mr Polson

XF Premium Sound

Got a XF Ghia premo sound system for my XF wagon.

Only thing is its got a couple of cut wires.

So I've figured out that two plugs from the amp are for front and rear speakers. The black one goes to the head unit.

a8u9y2er.jpg

zuragunu.jpg

So now for the cut wires. One lot comes out of the head unit/radio. Being red, yellow and black, I'm guessing at them being 12V accessory, 12V constant and earth.

e2u4u3ub.jpg

emazynem.jpg

The other lot come from the amp loom and is near the speaker/head unit plugs.

Two blacks (earths??) And one blue/white.

yruza5ut.jpg

ave7e8a2.jpg

I remember as a kid in my mum's XF ghia when you turned the radio on the Arial would raise an the lower itself when the radio was turned off ( or switched to tape) and using the button on the dash the height of the Arial could be changed when the radio was on

I'll take your word for it then Thom.

I had a look on the dash side of the loom. There's a plug with a blue/white wire going to it so I'll just hook them up.

Unfortunately not so lucky with the red/yellow/black wires, but I think that's because this dash never had premo sound.

It has 3 other wires to match up though, along with a brown one, which I have a feeling was used for illumination when dash lights were turned on.

Help still needed please.

602f099f578cbbfa96341dd606bacf35.jpg

Thread revival. Looked at installing this today. Tried the three wires on the back of the radio

8b6ce7845ec7b540cd3230a5b5b6bae0.jpg

Had them hooked up like this - based on info from the Ford XF manual. Which doesn't include schematic for amp/radio wiring, only up to the dash plug.

dbfb1a9274401f504415399bf02b15f3.jpg

Now this was all with the amp and amp wiring disconnected. So just the head unit/tape deck.

Couldn't get it to fire up what so ever.

But - had a good read through the owners manual. Power aerial looks to be manually controlled - not auto up/down with radio on/off. Only controlled by the aerial up/down buttons.

So thinking it may need this blue/white wire and the two blacks hooked up to the constant/acc power and earths.

633ef5735568a982acd65a0ad7ebd6f9.jpg

As well as the amp connection plugged into the back of the head unit.

8e3007ce5978919c2c076d5ba94b4893.jpg

ec670271b6e0a98d4218d682b14643a8.jpg

The other thing though - I attempted hooking it up direct to a battery and still couldn't get it to power up. Unless it needs the amp feed to run maybe?

No probs.... Looks like the earth of the radio runs thru the amp for some reason too which I found odd... If you want any specific pics or close ups let me know.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Has anyone work out how the premium radio is wired so it can be used without the factory amplifier? My amp has a dead channel so I'm trying to replace it with a modern lighter and more powerful amp with bluetooth music connectivity.

I've pulled the amp apart and stripped back the round black DIN plug at the amp end.

The black din cable is shielded and has a grey cable inside it. I've spent the morning on this and am not confident I've got the wiring and voltages required right.

The 'easy' bit:

That grey cable is your low power audio channels and it has shielded tiny red, white, green and blue wires. I can solder those wires and shielding to RCA plugs so they plug into my amp RCA's.

The 'hard bit:

The head unit needs power from the amp in order for the head unit to turn on.  The amplifier also needs power from the head unit for it to turn it on.  I'm not sure if these triggers are supposed to be 12v or a reduced voltage (this question will become clearer later). 

By pulling the amp apart I worked out that the pink and orange wires are joined into one circuit on the circuit board when they enter the amp. The amp sends power to both these wires. If I feed 12v to one or both of these wires with the head unit earth wire attached to the battery then the head unit equaliser and tape deck (not tuner) power up.

When the head unit is powered up with 12v it then feeds 12v back down the yellow wire.  If I put 12v to the yellow wire to the disconnected amp which has power and ground to its own power cable then both relays in that amp click closed so I assume it powers up.  At this point if I test the voltage at the orange and pink wire outputs from the amp back toward the head unit they measure just 1.76v.  I don't know if this is because my amp is damaged or if it is supposed to only send low voltage up the pink and orange wires to trigger the head unit. 

The display for the tuner on the head unit never lights up.  The tuner will click when you connect the yellow or red power wires to power but it still won't light up.

So.... has anyone had success using the premium head unit with a different amp?

1668481223809.jpg

1668481223793-2.jpg

1668481223834-2.jpg

1668481223899.jpg

1668486096297-2.jpg

1668486096309-2.jpg

1668486096318-2.jpg

1668486096328-2.jpg

1668486096339-2.jpg

The 'hard bit:
The head unit needs power from the amp in order for the head unit to turn on.  The amplifier also needs power from the head unit for it to turn it on.  I'm not sure if these triggers are supposed to be 12v or a reduced voltage (this question will become clearer later). 

I've had mine in and working for a few years now. I ended up getting my head unit and amp overhauled by a guy in Melbourne for very reasonable price.

In the end I was under the impression the amp provides power to the head unit, no power goes directly to the head unit from the dash wiring.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk