Server maintenance Read more... ×
xr6tjet

xf ghia cruise control not working

HI guys,

Trying to get the cruise control working in my 1985 XF ghia but can't seem to get it going. It doesn't engage or do anything when I hold set or the cruise button. Anybody know how to go about diagnosing them? I really want to get it fixed!

Cheers, Alex.

They do work however I had to remove the trip computer bulb for the warning, when I pressed the brakes the warning would light up which was annoying. I really want to get the cruise going now

I have done some further investigation to the cruise control issue. The later 86 cruise modulators are different from the 1985 ones. The 1985 ones have an earth wire coming directly from the vaccum case to be earthed on the body. The newer ones have the earth connection within the plug loom which plugs into the engine loom. The 1985 doesn't have the earth source in the loom hence why the later model cruise wasn't working. So what I did was grab the throttle cable from my original modulator and transferred it over to the original cruise control modulator that came with the car. Checked the brake lights and they work fine and power gets directed to the cruise ecu no problem. The modulator earth is earthing just fine to the bracket as I've tested it with a multimeter. Still nothing is happening and I have no idea what it could be.

Were these vacuum modulators prone to failing?

Is there any way of checking whether it works?

Could it also be my actual throttle cable being too new and tight? It's a brand new one which is nice and tight in terms of pedal. Even if I press set on the cruise control not even a sign of the cruise working happens.

Doubt it'd be due to the throttle cable, the cruise cable actuates on the throttle body so it shouldn't affect it.

Cruise control pod? Computer behind dash?

I've changed the cruise control computer (I have two) and the little red light is on when I hit the brakes and it flickers when I turn the cruise on. Starting to think its the cruise control pod. Not sure what else it could be it's just annoying!

Nope I couldn't get mine to work, tried a low mileage cruise unit which is in perfect condition no avail. Noticed they were different from my original one so I put the cable from the new one on my old one. Tried swapping ECU's behind the trip computer but no success. Still no idea why it won't even show me a sign of it working, literally nothing happens when I press the set button.

Also ,,

no difference in early to late ones as mentioned above with the wire that goes into the loom ,,,? 

It does not return to the computer ,,?

sorry if sounds like a stupid question 

30 minutes ago, dex said:

Also ,,

no difference in early to late ones as mentioned above with the wire that goes into the loom ,,,? 

It does not return to the computer ,,?

sorry if sounds like a stupid question 

not sure if there are different models, i assume they are all the same.i recently sold the above pictured on ebay, and a cruise kit with a few more of those modules, were all same part number.. were probably all from ZL fairlanes though..

they all had the same plug

35 minutes ago, dex said:

, do you own a kdx 200

used to.. 
had a 1986 one first, then a 2001 model(in 2004 for a few years) haven't ridden anything since selling it, brother took me on the back of his WR450 though, very impressive.. 

Cheers for the info ,,

invaluable . 

Good ol bike the original kdx . A classic . One on my radar

Restod vinduro / vmx bikes are fetching beaut money these days . 

I dont go much on the new high rev modern 4 strokes that need more regular fettling than a 2 stroke

never touched the 2001 model.. well, broke the chain on first ride.. fitted an Oring one,jobs done!.. oil changes and fuel and rear tyres were the only thing it ever needed.1986 one was fun, needed the crank case split because the seals were gone and it was running on sump oil and fouling the plug.. should have spent the $400 to fix, rather than $5000 on the new one maybe ? nah, lifting the wheel in 3rd was better 

6 minutes ago, dex said:

was meaning the wr ,,

plus im a honda bloke :P

brothers first bike put me off them.. RFVC 4 valve head cracks on the 1984 XR250.. was a nice bike otherwise.. i had a KLR250 1984.. drove that into a VH commodore.. not recommended 

Fsv0APxl.jpg