SPArKy_Dave

Bob Krogdahl - Twin Cam Crossflow and OHC Falcon heads

Who has info on this fella.

I can't find anything.

I have one pic, and some sketchy info.

engine1.jpg

He was a guy up in townsville that was making twin cam heads that fit on the I6 4L as well as the Crossflow 4.1L and the Holden 6's.

Apparently, they tested his heads in streetmachine mag August 2000 on an XR6 ute.

Those heads bolt onto any holden 186/202 or ford 200/250 or I6 ohc.

Pretty trick gear.

Twin belt driven cams.

Twin sparkplugs per cylinder.

I think the article found, it was good for around 325hp on an otherwise stock AU XR6.

Apparently in the end, poor marketing and the BA DOHC is what killed these heads.

They retailed for around $2.5k brand new the article said.

https://www.facebook.com/Aussiespeed/videos/901370843206896

Looks like it's loosely based on a Jag 6 head, sounds the goods. I'd pay that much even now for that, sounds like a good price to me. Uncanny how Ford and Holden 6s shared bore spacing and head bolt location. I've seen a Red motor with an alloy crossy head adapted to it.

remember the crossflow one getting upwards of $4000 dollars with no cams or something too,  this would of been around 2002 before ba

remember there was alot of talk on the forums back then but it all just disappeared

Good find mate!

Looks like he let it go out of copyright...... must not have been worth his time.

It'd be really interesting to get in touch with the fella, and see if he's still got any specs, left over stock, moulds etc.

I can see a heap of potential for further development.

Loving the individual throttle body idea too!

Sweet read! Thanks for that. Don't think the fella was ever going to make a success out of his cylinder heads. Timing was wrong by 40 years. Wonder if either Ford or GM paid for any of the research results on the heads particularly the AU xr6 ?

I remember a Wheels article back in probably 93-ish showing sketches of the upcoming EF and some spy shots of a DOHC donk in testing. They must have realised that there was no point bringing it out when their main competition was sticking to an ancient cast iron pushrod lump and thus their SOHC design was already superior for now. Fast forward to the BA and it turns out that development on the twin cam had been going on for more than a decade. Seems like they had this design sitting on the shelf ready for when they needed it. Imagine if they'd shoved it into an E-series all those years ago... Would have been a weapon!

Just an update for those still interested, i hope this link works, anyway the rundown:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=901370843206896

From AussieSpeed:

"For any one interested, 2 very rare engines will soon be for sale. These are 2 of just 14 ever built. The sale has nothing to do with us we have been asked if we can assist with making it public that the first ever DOHC Crossflow triple weber Krogdahl 250 engine is for sale It isn't cheap but is a real piece of history. The engine has been rebuilt and comes complete mounted on an engine stand and is running."

"
Ok Bob is Asking $65,000 for the engine, it is a lot of money and a lot of engine and it was also the first engine ever built and run.it has 3xdcoe webers , twin distributor ignition system, many internal mods to engine, revs to 10,000 rpm it has been freshly rebuilt. Who ever buys it will get the full Krogdahl storey from Bob the Genius Himself. Plus the option to buy all tooling to reproduce the heads again. You are buying more than just an engine, you are buying a piece of History..

"

I think that the 65 is just for the engine tho with the casts and tooling extra from what I understood??

To be honest I was hoping aussiespeed was going to get the designs etc to start remanufacturing. Would be very expensive as expected but would be great bolt on with all the equipment already in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk