Butcha

Meth drinkin turbo crossy

Manage to ream the seat of regulator and got it to seal. A bit of shit musta got into me fuel gauge cuz it read 0 pressure even though the car started. I cleaned it out and fuel system is sweet now.

Starts and runs sweet even though it is rich as shit. Methanol is awesome like that.

Heres A shitty video for your viewing pleasure. The yellow line if you can barely make out is afr.

its pretty cool though as you lean out the cells and bring it close to stoich it cleans up a bit and picks up a coupla hundred rpm.

Now gotta get this puppy onto a dyno or track to tune her up a bit.

Gee it rpms really well butch - should be a weapon.  Damn shame the last meeting got rained out.  Bring it down and we will throw it on Scotty's (Reef Engineering) dyno and we can have a play.  Yahoo. 

No worries ando im still having fuel pressure issues anyways has to be this regulator, flow testing the twin bosch 044s by removing the return to the surge tank i am getting almost 600 liters per hour @50psi (fills 20lt drum in 2 mins) which by my maths plenty to support 600hp on meth.Yet I fire up the car and give it a little rev the fuel pressure drops?? 10-15psi even if I load it up. Strange stuff.. ill get a new reg and go from there.

Also did current test and the pump feeding surge tank is 1.8 amps bosch 1 is 10.3 and bosch 3 is 9.8...

Hey haven't updated this for awhile bit rude I Know. Had the first race with the engine last night with mixed results.

First heat It was running way too lean for my liking so I just had a play passed a few people then backed off for a bit and went again from 10th I finished 5th or around there. Second heat fattened up the fuel table and started the car to grid up and it stalled straight up battery shit itself, in the process it messed up the ecu and was not detecting spark so had to wind some pots back and forth, swapped the battery out and she fired up ok for the 3rd heat.

3rd heat Started P1 finished p1. Woo this thing had some kick!! The valve cover gasket blew out the side causing a little smoke towards the end and caused a fire when I pull up in the pits. turbo Housing was glowing cherry red. Pushed the gasket back in and did a few minor things to the car and went out of the feature P4. I got a reasonable start passed P2 and started to chase down the leader but on the 3rd lap a bright red glow came from the bonnet... the turbo oil feed line (brand new double braided line) ruptured for no damn reason causing a nice big fire. No major damage just white shit everywhere from extinguisher.

Have attached a screenshot of the datalogs from the start of the 3rd heat about 3 or 4 laps worth. Its still way to lean at the part throttle bits but thats easy fixed.

Things i need to sort before next meet
- oil temps are hitting 280+ need to put oil cooler cooler in to bring them down a bit
- Coolant temps are a bit high, richening it up a bit should help. bringin oil temp down should help more
- Need a bigger alternator, its keeping a satisfactory charge but not at High RPM el/ef 100amper should do it, slow it down a bit wont hurt.
- Need to stop this freakin valvecover gasket blowing out on the right side.
- Fatten the tune a bit more.
- cool the intake temps down a bit 111 sounds bit high. A jet squirtin methanol/water into the intake should suffice.

Other considerations
-I need to drop my diff ratio down a bit I am running out of legs down the straight and its hurting my corner entry speed a bit. By legs i mean the shift light is blinding me and im lifting the pedal (6500rpm set 7000rpm fuel cut). It by no means runs out of power there.
-Seems the 44mm waste gate isnt big enough as it is set on its minimum setting of 8psi yet it gets up to 14 psi before things get hot. not complaining though :P

Other than that I'm happy as pig in shit on how it went on its first night out

Log%20pic.jpg?dl=0

Yeah this happened..

20150629_154952.jpg?dl=2

Which resulted in..
20150629_152737.jpg?dl=2

Have stripped her down to give her a bath. Everthing looks good no scuff marks or otherwise. Need to find the older style gaskets, at least they dont put graphite shit through the engine.

What head studs do i need to get? Dont think head bolts are gonna cut it.

managed to fix the photo's

a short list of things to do before next meet. aside from re-assembling the engine :mellow:

- Install engine oil cooler with fan, needs to be boxed in and have good flow- hopefully oil pressure wont suffer too much.

- Install a nozzle before the turbo to inject methanol, will plumb it off the regulator and have a solenoid of some description switching on/off. Should keep me turbo a bit cooler, make it more efficient and bring intakes temps down which should help the engine live?

- Rewire most of the car. I am having big volt drop issues with everything running so i will relocate some relays and run new feeds.

- Get a bigger alternator and make it fit. Im thinking perhaps an el/ef unit, will prob have to slow it down more. according to datalogs battery voltage is getting down to 11.9 which the fuelpumps are really struggling. I am also going to wire the ECU so it is on all the time so that it can keep the fans and waterpump going in case i have to shut it down due to fire ect. only have one switch to kill the ignition, ecu does the rest.

- Piss of the worm drive hose clamps and go bolt clamp style it popped a radiator hose which resulted in spectacularly blowing the head gaskets.

- Make up an aluminium sheild over the intake manifold/turbo to sheild everything from the heat and stop oil fires.

- Fit a Pan Evac system to act as a vacum pump to stop blowing valve cover gaskets. It worked well on my v8 so should be good on this.

- Fuel hose needs to be replaced. Methanol has deterioated it badly and its starting to split.

- Install a lower diff ratio.

- I got a little kick up the arse first race so i'll have to jack out my rear barwork so the boot sits flat again.

If i get time i will wire the speedo sensor into the ecu and install a prox sensor on the front right wheel. Be pretty cool to see how fast i am actually going and how much wheelspin i have.

Theres a video of the 3rd heat around somewhere i'll see if i can find it and put it up.

Good work butch - saw the fire photos on Gordong.com and wondered what was going on.  I have missed both race meetings this year thanks to other commitments but I should be at the next one. 

Young Brenton had the corty firing by all accounts, getting a heat win and finishing 2nd in the feature.  not bad for a $600 x-flow.  Long love the crossflow mate. 

I'll see you at the next show. 

Performance Wholesale in BrisVegas for the studs. They do a xflow kit.

Head gasket your in luck as Permaseal do a new gasket that is more or less like the old units and so far on my engine took 36 degrees with 12.3 comp no holes

Cheers rob managed to get both. Engine has been stripped and re-assembled. It looks like the top rings have lost a bit of tension but should be right.

I might measure the injector deadtime while i have access in the engine bay.

Just have to fab an alluminium sheild with some standoffs welded on the ex manifold to cover the turbo while the engine is on the stand then back in the hole again.

Sounds like you have been busy bruz. Did see a Moroso vac u pan set up on FB a few days back and thought of doing the same thing myself but I got more pressing matters to deal with first LOL.

On the front stud over the water pump Ando has a theory that if you have a half moon type deal machined in behind the water pump you may have block crackin issues and should stick to only half tension on that stud. My 2 blocks I have here DO NOT have them marks and have always been torqued down to full 105 spec.I just use some oil on the studs and nothing under the heads but the hardened washers.

I reckon maybe a switch to screw on water fittings may be next bro :)  

Not sure abou half moon deal? I jus us 75ft never popped a gasket up tat way?. Always round 4-6 that goes.

Thought about running braided hose front to rear but 500 bucks just for hose cuts into me beer fund a fair bit.

Failling that and not ideal but I have a copper unit here.Once the tune is fatter coolant and oil temps should come down a tad too.

What oil are you using? I like PM50 and it seems to work better the hotter it gets and it can be skimmed and re used.

The screw on water fittings are certainly ALOT dearer and add the extra hose length you guys need doesn't help at all.

Fun gig you got going there bro...props

Using lucas oil 20w50 full synthetic race oil at the moment. Hows that pm50 go with meth? Is it synthetic.

Didnt seem to get much done today, i got an argon bottle and had a play with the tig. Fun stuff. Welded on som -10 fittings to the valve cover and made up a sheild to cover the turbo a bit.

20150712_203634.jpg?dl=0

Shit seems to drag on sometimes hopfully get the bulk of it done tomorrow.

Get some Fuchs race 60 (Titan) in there mate.  Forget full synthetic.  I know the theory and the sale line on it but I have never seen it cause anything but grief in a methanol race motor. 

I know Nicks engine builder swears by it and pointed to the bearings which had 'done 2 seasons and were perfect'.  Yes well that happens when the car only completes 1 heat every meeting.  But he didn't want to hear that.

Fuchs can take the meth - loves it in fact - and has holds together much better with high oil temps.  Been using it myself for a ever and specify it on all customer engines. 

Love how this thing has come together.  I'll be over for a chat next meeting for sure.

Okay. Because I know Butch is a modest man I feel the need to explain a few things.  The car that was chasing Butch for most of the heat is a big dollar stroker Holden v8 that usually wins every heat by half a lap.  That old VL is bloody quick and the driver (Rosser) can steer.  So for a first outing to have that much all over him you have to be proud of a home built turbo 6 handing him his arse.

Great stuff Butch.  I truly can express in words how impressive that drive was.  even when you had a moment he still had absolutely nothing for you and that was on a less than ideal track.

Super stuff - and as I always say - Long live the crossflow. 

Well i never got to race cos me efi fuel pumps never showed up. I mustn have been a priority for toll priority, the parcle was loaded on a van to be delivered on friday as confirmed by their call center but was scanned back into the depo at 6pm...wtf??

Anyways got the pumps today ordered from vpw and yep i had two fakes. Will post up pictures of the differences bit later..

Try to do things cheap sometimes comes to bite ya.

Ok so differences in pumps...

20150727_151841.jpg?dl=0

A few different digits stamped on..

20150727_151719.jpg?dl=0

Genuine has steel helicoil in the inlet...

20150727_151618.jpg?dl=0

Fake didn't

20150727_151316.jpg?dl=0

Output of the fake...note the crimp on the edge.

20150727_151213.jpg?dl=0

Looks much beefier in the genuine unit.

When the pumps were pumping they were fine but they randomly stopped working. A knock on the head and they would go again for a bit... it doesnt seen like they stall as it stops drawing current.

Pretty convincing copy really.