Server maintenance Read more... ×
Butcha

Meth drinkin turbo crossy

Always wanted to play wilth boost and efi so I thought id do me a little project and build me a turbo 6 for me speedway car. Hopefully I get the bearings and cam etc over the next few weeks and get her all together and turn some laps.

The lowdown of it is so far is 10.7:1 compression .020 grouted block acl race series pistons, 3.9 rods, camtech solid 243/243 .560 on 113 gt3540 ebay cheapy I got ages ago will prob track down an fg turbo once everything is up and going. 160lb injectors being fed by 2 x bosch 044 pumps fed by aeromotive ss pump who fills the surge tank. Ice 7amp doing ignition duties and a megasquirt 3 doing all the thinking. No intercooler as I will have a nos spray nozzle squirting methanol in the intake plumbed by solenoid just adjust the pill size to get temps down.

this is how its sitting at the momentabahe2em.jpg

Has anyone here played with the megasquirt and have any pointers or a base map I could use to get her started obviouly after adjusting that for meth fuel.

Out of me comfort zone here so any input would be appreciated.

Edit: target boost I was thinking 10 to 15psi

Looking good Butch.  You are making much better progress than me, although I did order a few more parts for my suck thru meth set up. 

Will be a weapon mate - Can't wait to hear it at the track.  Straight thru 3" system with no muffler???

Trouble is rob with port induction there is no way to measure intake temps.. they will be reading in excess of 120 degrees c.. is there enough vaporisation with port injection? Id rather not turn me pistons into liquid. ill have an egt as well as intake temp coolant temp, fuel pressure and oil pressure for data logging. So it will be interesting to see what they are doing mid race.

I can't offer anything other than awe and admiration for the project and a good luck. The only thing I know is if you don't run an intercooler (which I agree your not going to need) your not going to have to worry about turbo lag, That would be no more than 150mm from turbo outlet to manifold inlet? Being a race car could you not just run the exhuast out the side of the car for even less restriction?

Dunno bout the muffler ando ill put it up to vote straight dump on the ground a 3" stainless hotdog, 3"steel glasspack hotdog or lukey 3" straight through is what I have in the shed. Rules stipulate it must go past the drivers seat. The real question though... screamer pipe(vent wastegate to atmosphere) or no? (Plumb it back into the exhaust)

wow that's bloody cool mate, I have never heard a motor like this in person I bet its gonna make a real mean noise, good luck with the build on this sucker ill be staying tuned in

I think screamer pipe but with that rule, technically it is exhaust so it would need to go past the seat?  I think you might have to plumb it into the dump.

No muffler for sure and 3" it will be quiet as a mouse compared to some of those v8 outlaws. 

I agree with Rob on the no extra squiters.  Lavis never ran them on his Honda VTEC when Ray tuned it on meth.  Perhaps a chat to Lavis - he probably still has the meth injectors as well cause they went back to petrol in the end. 

Hey mate that's awesome work so far, will kick ass at the track. The only possible problem I can see is the factory fuel rail and it's hard line and fittings proving a restriction with the fuel volume required for methanol. Could corrosion also be an issue? I've never played with the stuff but from what I understand you have to pretty much double the capicity of the fuel system. I'd also just run a screamer, they're loud but save the hassle of running it back into the exhaust and will probably make more power.

Don't forget a brace of the exhaust manifold back to the block.  I think it might need it in your speedway application - help to support the turbo and stop the manifold from cracking under stress from the heat and bumps??

I am using stock fuel rail but have cut off welded up the two pin holes they use for intake and return and welded 2 -8 fittings on either end. Car has -8 supply and return lines to a 90 liter fuel cell. I based the calculations around 600 hp bosh 044 are reportedly rated for flow at 300lph @43psi... I need 600lph soo..e9u9e8u5.jpg

I have brought new proflow checkvalves -8 to go onto the ends then two -8 into a -8 fuel line.

I have only found meth to be corrosive if left to sit and it absorbs moisture. I normally flush the fuel system and carb after every meet. Cool thing with efi though I can flick a switch and voila it changes fuel table and should run on petrol.

Now I am sure I read somewhere that by using two pumps you don't actually get twice the flow if you have them going into one line.  I think it is like 1 and 3/4 flow from memory.  Maybe a quick chat with Pogo at Pressure Point Hydraulics butch.  I'll see if I can find the stuff I read on it. 

It is funny that you should post that up about the fuel rail because I was thinking of it last night after XPT's post.  I was thinking of welding the dash (JIC) fittings onto the rail but running twin lines to the rail and adding another JIC fitting say half way along the rail - thereby making it twin supply.  You would probably want a good size return for idle and just off idle as they may be a lot of meth passing over the reg during those times. 

It is in the back of my mind ando and I should prob be running a -10 up to fuel rail as well but I will use what I have and workout shortcomming later. The existing setup supplied my v8 950 meth carby singing to 7800 with no pressure drop I could see. how that translates to this efi setup ill find out I guess.

From a safety standpoint I have a pressure sensor on the fuel rail which I can log in the ecu so I can see if supply is inadequate. Also can set in the ecu that if o2 goes lean for a set time then kick in rev limiter maybe 3k rpm to save engine.

Just to add the v8 setup with aeromotive pump filled 20 liters in 2 min 30 secs @ 9psi 12.5 volts. (it will flow a little more at 13.8v) which tranlsates to 480lph. This was measured at fuel tank using the return line into a jerry.

Yeah I've thought about it a bit more and I reckon to JIC fittings at each end of the rail and the pressure reg moved to the centre with another jic fitting welded in the centre. 

That's good flow from the aeromotive pump.   It will be even better filling the surge as you will not have any pressure reg so it will be full free flow rate with the return from the surge returning to tank.  Just make sure that return is at the bottom of the tank or you will be spraying a serious amount of fuel on top and create a big spa bath inside the tank otherwise. 

Oh I am getting excited to hear this thing run.  I've cleared a few hours on Thursday to cut out my flanges for my suck thru meth crossflow.   You have inspired me butch. 

Fair bit of work to do. Will try and sit the engine back in the car rewire it. Mount ecu, ice ign and voltage booster in waterproof box. Install fuel system and plumb it up, make up dump pipe weld in 02, egt sensor and weld in bungs for pan evac system, rebuild power steering pump. Finish making hoses for oil and water to turbo. Install bungs for oil temp sensors in sump. Change fuel pressure gauge install boost gauge. Hopefully bearings rings and cam will come next week and I can assemble engine.

Still need to add a few components to me megasquirt to customise it my inputs...

Think I need some beer for the weekend.

Um I'm a pussy. 7-10psi bud.  I'm scared and this is a learner build for my efi - forged turbo x-flow into my delivery.  It will be a lot more civilised as I have an autronic ecu and garret XR6 turbo. 

No gerg - No formal trade qualifications at all.  My best mate (pogo) is a hydraulics expert and he talks in JIC and I talk in AN.  It gets real interesting and a bit heated sometimes but we work it out.   

I'm in the trade but am no expert. Seems like all those Aeroflow bits are just anodised alloy versions of JIC, and about 5 times the cost. Look pretty though. I love working with JIC, no o-rings to fuck up and it's a very common system.