Server maintenance Read more... ×
SZKsa347

ED 5L EFI to carb

I have an ed xr8 engine which I want to convert to carb. what exactly is involved?

do I need to change the timing cover?

what dizzy and coil can I use?

its got gt40ps, and I think that should be an issue.

the engine is midly worked. strong bottom end, and a baby cam. I plan on using the edelbrock air gap manifold and maybe a holley sec vac or dp.

can the btr be used without the ecu? or I might go AOD as I still want to have 4 speed. is there any other trans I could use?

cheers

Any carby manifold will bolt on. Electronic dizzy to suit like a msd will drop straight in but make sure you have the right gear on it to suit the roller cam. If your using all the factory front ancillaries you need the efi timing cover. You can change to the early cover but will need the early style water pump and brackets to suit alt and power steer pump and pulleys to suit. I think you can run the btr. Someone had some info about how to do it by using the eb auto computer from memory. Might have been on another forum. Aod would be a costly exercise. What car are you putting the motor in. There was a post recently about fitting a efi 5.0 to an xf and some talk of extractors to suit gt40ps.

I would only worry about changing timing cover and front drive accessories of you wanted to use a mechanical fuel pump (ford motorsport sell a standard rotation pump and pulleys to suit efi timing cover and balancer it you have next to no accessories or just want to run v belts)just remember efi and early windsors use different weighted balancers, and using the wrong one can result in a broken crank, I know a few people who have tried to set up a btr 4 speed to run standalone but none of them have been truly successful, in the long run for a 4 speed auto an adapter plate and a turbo 700 out of a 5.0 vn would be more reliable than an aod ( plus locally available parts and auto shops around here know how to build them) getting headers/ extractors will be the hard part

Hey, if this is staying in the ed there won't be any problems with using After market EL headers with the gt40p heads. A slight modification to the drivers side is required but that it.

All the above info is correct as I have a late Windsor in my XD.

I do not run the power steering or air con and have set it up using the XD style alt, so I had to get the early style front cover, standard rotation water pump and of course the 50oz front balancer.

I have a edlebrock rpm intake and 600 carb, elec mallory and a steel gear to suit the billet steel cam.

I'll post a photo later.

Evin,

The BTR needs some inputs from the ECU namely:

• Throttle position sensor
  • Speed sensor
  • Air con
  • Engine rpm

Without these it will misbehave and most likely drop into limp home mode.  So the carby route presents some issues, which will take a bit to work around.  The main thing would be to adapt a tps sensor to it, which can be done.  The distributor can still be the efi one, you just disconnect the injector wring.

If you want to piss that all off and use a mallory to do the timing thats quite feasible too.  In this case the aod could be the go, although some have used (gasp) a TH700.  The 700 will need an adaptor plate though.

The most cost effective one would be to find a v8 manual bell housing and a t5.  So long as you're not doing burnouts it should be fine.

Is the timing still playing up on it?

David

decided to stay EFI for the time being, Im getting it dyno tuned with full diagnostics. See whats going on. Ive gone this far now, it will cost me a small fortune for the conversion

a small fortune $400, for carby, $300 for inlet manifold, $100, for gasket kit. New dizzy and coil and an auto elec for the tps. A grand? yeah right.