bigpaulo

what is log?

whats a log manifold? or a log engine? the pre crossflows are sometimes referred to as log motors. and ive heard the word log used to describe some modern manifolds. i tried googling it but nothing really answered my question (that i could understand anyway)

Cheers!

I have never heard of the pre crossy's being referd to as a 'log motor'.

You maybe thinking of a 'long motor'? Thats the engine with the cylinder heard and maybe some acc's

The 'short motor' being the engine with out the cylinder head.

The log manifold would be the EFI manifold you find on XG/EB/ED Falcon, thats what i know as 'the log manifold'

The EF/EL/AU etc have the BBM or broad band manifold as their EFI.

Hope this helps.

hmmm... maybe im confused with the precrossys. i'll try find an example.

why do they call that manifold a log manifold? when i googled it i noticed a lot of cars run log manifolds, not just fords. i thought maybe log stands for something? or perhaps its as simple as it looks like a log, lets call it a log? hahaha

It can refer to either depending on the context. The early non-cross flow 6s which had the manifold cast into the head are called "log motors". EA-ED inlet manifolds are called log manifolds to differentiate these from the later Broadband EF-BF type.

Log motor - (or more correctly, log HEAD motor) -  the 1V pre-crossflow inline six's, which have the intake cast as a part of the cylinder head.

Those head/intake combo's suit single barrel stromberg carbies

- I like the strombergs, cause you can rebuild them for about $20.00.

Log manifolds (not motors) refer to the combined head and manifold on Australian 188 and 221's - It was an australian nickname for combined casts

they're NOT an american block but come from a US baseline 200 I6 but with a raised deck (done by ford oz). the oz 188 and 221's replaced the US 170 and 200 "logs"

before 250's came out it was common to lance the manifold off and make a separate one.  I did this to a 221 that was in my XR,  once you shaved the manifold off you could fit one off a gen 1 250, although most just dumped the original head for a 250 -2v.  plus you could use 250 extractors with the head swap

its called a log because the manifold looked like a log :)

Yep I saw a pic of that V6 lump and thought "what the fuck? One exhaust port for 3 cylinders". Apparently it's to do with engine warm-up time (water jacket absorbs more heat) and it's only on the direct injection engines.

Your useless bit of info for the day... You're welcome!