superhus!

AU Injected 5.0 into XF questions.

I know this has probably been covered a thousand times before and I've done plenty of research and have most of my questions answered, but if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be mint.

I plan on purchasing an AUII/III 220kw motor and a BTR 4 speed to throw into my XF. From what I understand I can use XE Clevo engine mounts and chassis mounts and it will all be hunky dory. The XF is a wagon and I have an ED XR6 wagon diff to put in, as well as the tailshaft, which from what I understand will all mate together.

I will be retaining coilpacks and not converting to dizzy, I have already lined up an auto elec to produce/modify my looms so I can just plug it all in and play, but the ECU concerns me. If I was to grab the running gear out of an AUII/III XR8, more than likely It would have adaptive shift, which I would like to keep for da lulz. Seeing that it is a Smartshield ECU, is there a way to bypass it? Or am I better off not worrying about the adaptive shift and going an AU1 Smartlock ECU?

Second of all was the extractors. From my research, The passenger side header will need to be slightly modified to accomodate the starter. I read somewhere CRS do a set of headers to suit, but the charge a f*ckton of money for something that isn't really that good. Has anyone used an off the shelf header that doesn't need to be modified?

Another thing I couldn't find anything on was the coolant system and piping. I've seen a lot of people using XG/XH Overflows, if I was to grab an XH hose kit would it all work?

Last and not least, the gearbox crossmember. I was thinking maybe an EAII mount or an XG mount may work. Anyone had experiences with this?

Thanks

Hus.

Headers: how about block huggers? Not exactly ideal for power but take up only slightly more room than stock manifolds. ECU: There are plugins that can bypass earlier smartlocks, can't remember what they're called. Is there one that someone here knows to suit your EEC-V?

The thing you have be careful of is getting a hold of headers that work with gt40p's as they relocated the spark plugs and alot of headers are made to suit early head also need to be wary of the left hand starter

The thing you have be careful of is getting a hold of headers that work with gt40p's as they relocated the spark plugs and alot of headers are made to suit early head also need to be wary of the left hand starter

I think Colin had a custom header made for that side of the starter for his when he had his conversion done, he said (and i could be wrong)

it was the only way around it?

You can get hurricane 4 into 1 headers to suit 302w into X series, I have a set and cost me around $700nz. I did originally test fit when I had gt40p heads on my AU11 XR8 engine in my XD and no issue with the plug angle. The yanks go on about it a lot in the fox body mustangs.

You could use the horrid press bend stock manifolds but they are extremely restrictive.

Any clevo mounts and pedestals from XA onwards will work for the motor.

No problems, I have a late model Windsor in my XD however converted to carb and dizzy. They look tinny in the engine bay compared to a Cleveland.

Radiator hoses just go with XD-E V8 bottom hose and XA V8 top hose and keep the standard XF 2row radiator or get a 3core.

This is a lot simpler than the header tank bullshit the "E" series use.

I have done this a few times before and will be doing it again very soon.

I am actually doing the same thing as you, using XF Fairmont wagon but a NF 5.0  and a C4.

Previous conversions were to ZL Fairlanes and XF Ghia using NC 5.0 and BTR 4speeds, you need to do some modifying to the gearbox cross member.

The BTR is wider, the rear servo hits the XF body mount on the passenger side and this needs trimming.

The BTR mounts are also further back, and you need to do something about this, I modified a standard one by welding  50mm x 50mm x 6mm angle to the ends of the cross member to extend it towards the back. It sort of becomes a U shape.

The park brake cable may need to be played with, but off memory it was only where it was sliding against the gearbox, and was not really an issue.

I just used the "E" series V8 heater hoses and heater tap.

If you are running aircon I use the "E" series compressor to TX valve and compressor to condenser hoses.

I modify the hose where it connects to condenser by cutting the "E" series fitting off and silver soldering a short bit of an XF condenser fitting to it.

The other line from the receiver dryer to the TX valve needs to be modified at the TX valve end so that the clamp will hold it down.

You can do it a couple of ways, either silver solder a bit of "E" series to the XF or take it to Enzed or Pirtek and have the XF end changed to an "E" series end.

Also the A/C compressor needs a few lugs trimmed off the back, and where the mounting bolt goes in near the hose inlet/outlet connections needs to be shortened about 15mm to clear the shock tower.

This will give you about 5mm clearance,  depending on how much tolerance Ford built into the car, the 2 ZL Fairlanes and the XF I have done have been O.K. with the XF been very close although it used an AU power steering/AC bracket and the Fairlanes used EB/NC.

When I do my wagon I am going to die grind the slots in the engine mounts and chassis as much as I can to move the engine forward as much as I can.

On the XF I also mounted a EF/EL 6 power steering pump under the alternator where the idler pulley goes, this gives you a bit more room on the passenger side for Air boxes or pods.

You will need to move the battery box forward as far as you can to clear the filler neck of the pump if put it like this.

I made my own hoses for the power steering high pressure and return, by cutting and shutting XF hoses.

When we did the Fairlanes we used the standard C2 pump but made our own hoses with what we had, I think they were XF hoses cut and shut with "E" series pump connections for the high pressure.

XD/XE C2 pump high pressure hose may work but may not clear the aircon compressor, off memory this is why I cut and shut the "E" series one to the the XF one.

For the return we used XD return lines, but you can use the XF ones if you like, you will probably need to lengthen the flexible hose from the hardline to the pump.