Server maintenance Read more... ×
littlebevan

250 XFlow head markings?

It's a HF4 head...LOL But seriously check on the left hand side of the cyl head near 1-2 cyls for a code there.I'd suggest what you have is a early XE head that may be a C something head ?

Thing about em is they all flow around the same but have different compression ratio's. 

A Geelong Foundry (GF) casting mark is an "F" inside a "G" which is just a modified Cleveland Foundry mark with the C changed to a G. The HF4 might be Honda Foundry, as Ford commissioned them to design them, but not sure for how long Honda made them before handing production over to Ford. Anyone shed some light on this?

Honda did design and help Ford with the original castings and every single head was tweaked along the way to the final D head.

The E heads are EFI and have the biggest inlet but lowest compression the C type heads have the most comp but suffer from poor chamber design and the early HF cast heads found on XD to early XE are my favorites thanks to the big open chamber but the castings are usually softer.

I reckon the roman numerals would be a date stamp of form.  TBH I have never looked for them. I only look at the casting number and sometimes the HF number - out to the shed for a look now. 

I'm in the process of cleaning up a chamber of each head casting made and once I have done that I will post up a pic from unmarked thru to e2 as I now have everyone ever made plus one with a chamber that I have never seen before - which I think I posted in here once before. 

I'm going to make a frame for them and put them on the wall of the town shed - where I am setting up my workshop - so don't hold your breath waiting, you may well expire.