Ando81

Where is this cold air coming from?

Hi all, I've noticed recently that when I drive my ute I can feel cold air coming into the cabin on the passenger side. I can have the heater on and have it blowing on the windscreen and can still feel it blowing onto the passenger seat regardless of if I have the fan on or not. Am thinking there must be a flap open somewhere asif I have got the recirculate open but it's closed on the dial.

My old XF Pano had a rusted out cover in the plenum. It's the one that opens / shuts with the recirc/fresh vent control.

If like Mr Polson says, that cover is stuck open or non existant that could be it.

Mine was the drivers side so I could snake my arm up past the steering column up under the dash & grab handfulls of rust, but passengers side access is a lot trickier.

Not much can be done if the door is rusted, like Monsieur Polson said, dash out........

Could block the vent, somehow in winter? Scrunch up some newspaper, plastic bag with a rubber band, doohickey with a thingamajig on the side.

Wonder if you you could adapt a vent from an XB? They have a separate cable each side.

So upon quick inspection I gently opened and closed the flap by hand with no resistance against it so the control lever is probably broken. As I operated the flap a piece if thick foam fell out of it so I'm guessing that it had galled down from the top, jammed in the flap and broken the control arm. I'm gunna just secure it shut I think.

Guys, rust has nothing to do with it. Here's photos for future reference to what I mentioned.

Passenger side of heater box

a4eza4ur.jpg

Flap that's controlled by lever

e4e2ude2.jpg

y2e8eje9.jpg

Lever that controls it

4a8ymuda.jpg

You may notice on this box its a metal control lever, that's because its a Fairmont Ghia heater box.

GL, Spak, Fairmont etc have that in plastic form.

Mine does exactly the same thing. There has to be a way to set it to closed.

Thanks for the info Chris, didn't know that.

air con guy i use to go to used to screw them shut(under the glovebox) so they would be constant recirc.

i have also noticed that the foam that seals the plenum to heaterbox often disintergrates so that can be another issue.