bigpaulo

under bonnet superchargers

Under bonnet superchargers: has anyone done one? Im talking on a carb 250.

Ive heard about these castlemaine rod shop bolt on sc kits...but cant find any reviews from anyone whos used them...

What is required to set up an under bonnet sc? Intercoolers? A lot of mods? Do you need a special carby?

Im not planning on supercharging at this stage, just trying to arm myself with some information.

Cheers!

There are a few m90s off commodores going around. They seem to just fit under the bonnet of a falcon (didnt on my cortina) cause the carby is mounted behind the charger. They seem to work but you cant boost them they just turn into heat pumps. Ive done one they work to about 200hp and then you push them harder to make more and they go the other way

The little s14s like a rod shop kit i would not bother ive not run this setup but they dont work the money you spend vs gain it would not be worth it

Ive done 3 blower setups on 250s. The first was a old wade superchager setup it gave good gains over the basic NA engine, it was on 7psi but it was a super heavy charger and the bracket would fail all the time, i sold it and went to a m90 off a commodore. I made a longer snout and made it fit a 4 barrel manifold. It worked yes but as soon as i tryed to push it past 10psi it would make less power i got 210rwhp out of it but the engine was making a 163hp before the blower so not much real gain since it cost about 2500 bucks to setup

My last setup is a B&M roots blower on a custom manifold and on 7psi it flew, At 12 is was very good, at 15 i killed the engine :D but it would turn the tyres 1st 2nd 3rd and a fair bit of 4th on a boat ancor XF with a 245 tyre. I never dynoed it but its as fast as my ute so at least 300rwhp on a engine that was not even built for boost with a very small cam. I built it to get 400 at the tyres on a built engine and i know it could do it without to much hassle 

ill ding a few pictures out as they looked cool i dont think i have any of the m90 one as i never had a camera back then the wade one i have a few a mate took while i was making it and just dummyed up in the car

the B&M one in the XF heres a video i took of it a while ago before i smashed the engine LOL

edit it will not work ill try again later

Toyota SC14 is off a 2 litre 1ggze by the time they make boost on an engine more than twice the size they would be roasting the air. Blow through turbo would shit on any s/c setup in terms of power and price. Far easier to add an intercooler as well. If you're having it under bonnet then you aren't going for the visual appeal of a blower, so you might as well make power.