Server maintenance Read more... ×
Hofiveo

converting a barra to carb

Ok come on guys this is turning into a personal opinion thread not what was asked.So before everyone pulls there cocks out please restrain from attacking each others views/ideas cos there different to yours.

We have all learned somthing from this thread thus far and tbh I doubt the op will continue to entertain his original thoughts but any postitive info is good for all.

May be easier to put a ba head on an au short, biggest issue is working out timing chain somewhere in another thread I Posted up a comparison between and au head gasket and a ba one, with a little bit of modification to two of the oil returns the head would fit but I never looked any further than that

Gday all. When I started this th read it was to get an idea of what peoples thoughts on this were. I've always been curious about doing it but was never sold on the idea. XPTcrossy link to the megajolt would probally be the best option for spark control. At the end of the day it was just an idea. I could see the cost of a conversion like this getting up pretty quickly and if I was going to play with a six again id throw the money into one of my trusty tractor motors. Until l then i will stick to my clevos and weezors. Cheers for every ones input

Jason I have seen a dizzy driven off v belt on a v6 commodore engine that was converted to run on carbs.  it is real old school speedway engineering but it can be done.

would I bother doing it to a BA motor - no way.  with cam lift limited to .515" because of the rocker gear you can not possibly take advantage of the extra flow of the cylinder head with only that amount of lift.  duration would have to be increased to the point that I doubt a dual cam engine would really work.

I could make a crossy pull jesus off the cross and run 12s all day for the price of making the ignition system work on one of these and then get it all complied. 

Love it, bang for buck crossys rule. Can reinvent the wheel a 100 times over but the cam limmitations that have been there since the SOHC 4litre is still there, sure they make power but no room for a 200% inproovement like a crossy N/A

Ok come on guys this is turning into a personal opinion thread not what was asked.So before everyone pulls there cocks out please restrain from attacking each others views/ideas cos there different to yours.

We have all learned somthing from this thread thus far and tbh I doubt the op will continue to entertain his original thoughts but any postitive info is good for all.

Comon rob was just getting good :D

Au head and gasket 711a60c4845032e39bcd077b3d187e13.jpg ba head and au gasket 742de562b550661a4012ebcd72e3e69d.jpg

There a bloke in town running a BA head on a SOHC bottomend with a dissy and 3 holleys yes it works. Would a basic crossy eat it yes,, is it cool yes,, is it a crossy, no! 

And before i get chewed :D I like jasons 3TBs and in a corty whats not to like. But if its faster its yet to be seen as he set the bar pretty high with the taxi enigne

And before i get chewed :D I like jasons 3TBs and in a corty whats not to like. But if its faster its yet to be seen as he set the bar pretty high with the taxi enigne

Doesn't it have 6tb's

come on mate its just a newer taxi engine...LOL :lol:  I'm pretty confident the bar will be raised!!

11.04 to beat - oh no ban stick coming up for me. 

Only 11.58 to beat, 11.04 and beyond is and always has been in another league then me, maybe you could give it a go, I just want to race!!

Doesn't it have 6tb's

Something like that mate!!

Yeah Jason I will be giving it a go.  Our track up on the tablelands looks like happening. They say we will be racing next easter.  Its a 10 hour tow for me to the nearest strip (mackay) at the moment and that's a bit out of the question for me. 

Back on topic for a moment - I was speaking to Mark at aussiespeed yesterday and they are well advanced on the ignition side of the BA conversion so those wanting to give the carby BA a go should be able to get the complete package soon.

be real interesting to see the old school versus the new school on the drag strip.  I can tell you that on the dirt the old x-flows won the battle at the Qld title this year, and by a good margain. 

Couldnt you just run the standard ECU with it flash tuned so that there are no injectors. and then run the aussiespeed manifold/carby for fuel?

If you were going to do that why not just use the injectors. I would have thought the main reason is to get rid of the ECU etc.

I want to see the engine Thom was talking about.

Well the speedway guys have to use carbs i think?? the thread is how to get a carb working

Or if you wanted to run LPG , without any duel fuel setup. 

Actually i am not sure how the taxis work come to think of it ? i am pretty sure they are not vapor injection in the early ba models?