Server maintenance Read more... ×
Hofiveo

converting a barra to carb

Has anyone seen a carb fed ba bf motor.

What would people suggest to run the ignition side of things.

Ive seen a few things about locking the cam timing but not sure if it has to be done.

Just curious if it can be done for a bit of fun.

Has anyone seen a carb fed ba bf motor.

What would people suggest to run the ignition side of things.

Ive seen a few things about locking the cam timing but not sure if it has to be done.

Just curious if it can be done for a bit of fun.

Just use EFI? It's better and can be tuned even further...

You can lock the cams yes,you can fit a EL style dizzy to run ignition but you will need a factory style loom or a CDI box from MSD  Crane or such if you don't use a Ford loom.Mark @ Aussie speed can supply you with a manifold.

There's pics of a hand built circuit car with webers on a OHC/DOHC engine run by a dizzy and MSD so anything is possible.

Cheers for all the replies guys. I've been wondering about this for sometime now and thought someone out there may have attempted this. The motors are so cheap but the efi side of it is way to much messing around for me. I have seen spark control computers for the ignition side of it and was also thinking maybe v6 commy computer to control spark. The you tube clip nzxd put up for us is proof anything is possible. 590hp carbd coyote with LOCKED CAMS is sick. Basicly I'm thinking std motor 465 holley extractors, someway to control spark, t5, 3.45 lsd equals fun......

would have to be an efi style crank trigger but wouldn't it?  MSD universal kits like wazzy and I have would tell the MSD engine position and speed but you would still need some way to distribute the spark.

where is crazy - we need that electronic brain with all his COP knowledge. 

You could use something like a megajolt programmable ignition with a Ford EDIS-6 module from a v6 Exploder + EF/AU coil packs and run a wasted spark setup if on a budget.

Barra engine with a 4 barrel = Major backwards move. You would be wasting the potential of the engine. The ignition is the biggest issue, no one makes a pnp ignition system for 6 cylinder and then it has to be sensor and engine specific. They have a 36-1 crank wheel already and the sync is on the back of the camshaft, problem is there is normally only one tooth but on these engines there are 4 and different distances apart. They only way I could see it being done is like ando said with a magnetic trigger on the balancer ala MSD and then you would have to make a distributor to drive off the intake camshaft!! it could be done Ive seen a similar setup on a 4.6/5.4 ford mod motor before but its a lot of work just run the efi a vipec or motec will run the engine including vct or lock the cams and run any computer you want would be a lot easier i think.

You would have to mount another trigger wheel on the engine the barras are inside the engine and are combined with the crank timing chain sprocket. Its all about the missing tooth and sensor placement. The missing tooth tells the computer that the camshaft sync tooth is coming up in a curtain amount of degrees and when it sees that it starts the firing process. So what you need need to find out is if you can tell the computer where the sensors are relative to tdc or weather you have a fixed mount for the sensors relative to tdc. On my old motec i could tell the computer, after the missing tooth the sync tooth was 260deg for eg after and it would be waiting for that signal.

You can buy looms for barras that make wiring piss easy, sure at $700 they are a bit pricey but just having to connect a few wires of ign, fans and fuel pump it is worth not going through the stress. Took me ages to wire up the AU engine in my XC and when i'm off my Ps and install a turbo barra I'm simply going to just buy a plug and play loom. EFI is soo much better than a carby setup.

Jason I have seen a dizzy driven off v belt on a v6 commodore engine that was converted to run on carbs.  it is real old school speedway engineering but it can be done.

would I bother doing it to a BA motor - no way.  with cam lift limited to .515" because of the rocker gear you can not possibly take advantage of the extra flow of the cylinder head with only that amount of lift.  duration would have to be increased to the point that I doubt a dual cam engine would really work.

I could make a crossy pull jesus off the cross and run 12s all day for the price of making the ignition system work on one of these and then get it all complied. 

would I bother doing it to a BA motor - no way.  with cam lift limited to .515" because of the rocker gear you can not possibly take advantage of the extra flow of the cylinder head with only that amount of lift.  duration would have to be increased to the point that I doubt a dual cam engine would really work.

haha not quite, they are harder but 240cfm stock at .500 you dont need to go any bigger...LOL tunnel vision thinking I love it, this is my new signature :lol:

yeah mate I'm just too old school and I love my x flows.  can't come at this modern technology stuff.

well that is not entirely true - I'm playing with a Honda VTEC powered mini FFS so I am not completely blind.  Just when it comes to old fords and x flows am I totally blind. lol. 

Don't get me wrong - I like what you are doing with your BA motor - that is the way it should be done.  EFI and a good computer. 

would I bother converting a BA motor to carby - answer is still no.