BigCav

Aussie C5 transmission performance upgrade

Hi Guys

i have a ford c5 transmission behind my original zk v8, as there is sweet f all info on these at the moment online (for the aussie non lock up version) im forced to ask and hoping someone has some info

what parts are interchangeable wit a c10(c4) ?

do all the performance upgrade internals fit from a c10?

am i better of using a spare c10 i have?

are they stronger/weaker etc then a c10?

ultimatly i guess i want soemthing to handle a 12ish second past in a street trim ltd, not that its making the power now but may one day

Why do you Mexicans come up with so many names anyway? C9 being a late 6cyl/Windsor case fill C4 and the C10 being Clevo pan fill C4 and the early 24 spline C4 being a C4!

So a C5 is a late C4 with lock up clutch in the convertor...seeing as you will be replacing the convertor with a performance based unit anyway lets just say you have a Clevo pan fill C4 (C10 in Mexican talk) Id's suggest it will all be the same bar the convertor internally bro.I will safely say it will handle a 12 sec easily even close to stock it would if you keep it cool via a BIG and good brand cooler.PWR make good 1's sold under the DC tag.If the fluid is a nice cherry red I's bang a shift kit and convertor in it and drive it.Being a BIG car I would suggest you gear the car up to suit aswell bro to save strain on the box.

Why do you Mexicans come up with so many names anyway? C9 being a late 6cyl/Windsor case fill C4 and the C10 being Clevo pan fill C4 and the early 24 spline C4 being a C4!

So a C5 is a late C4 with lock up clutch in the convertor...seeing as you will be replacing the convertor with a performance based unit anyway lets just say you have a Clevo pan fill C4 (C10 in Mexican talk) Id's suggest it will all be the same bar the convertor internally bro.I will safely say it will handle a 12 sec easily even close to stock it would if you keep it cool via a BIG and good brand cooler.PWR make good 1's sold under the DC tag.If the fluid is a nice cherry red I's bang a shift kit and convertor in it and drive it.Being a BIG car I would suggest you gear the car up to suit aswell bro to save strain on the box.

the c5 is the one legitimate ford name change and not a mexican mash up lol

i might have to talk to greg and see exactly but what the yank version differences are if any compared to the aussie version other then the convertor but the internal differences on a yank c5 i can find so far are

Large cooler fittings

#9 thrust washer has the normal 2 locate tangs but also has 2 cutouts to line up with an additional lube hole

cooler return passage is also drilled to 13/64" which is larger than a c4 5/32

rear roller clutch spring retainer has the wafer springs clipped to it instead of being loose like a c4

front pump has no checkball in the stator support cooler passage and this passage is drilled to 1/4".A c4 has the passage at 3/16" and a ball fitted

he sun gear where it fits into the front + rear planetaries has lube holes drilled to get the oil from the output shaft lube circuit to the gearsets.The C5 has 4 holes each end @.094" .The c4 only has 3 holes each end @ .040"

forward hub has 5 clutches.It has a different bevel plate in the bottom of the clutchpack Which is .310"overall with a .110" step.

The c4 bevel plate is .265" with a .125"step

hi/rev hub has 4 clutches @.078",All steels @.090" with a dished cushion plate on top

Both the fwd + hi/rev clutches have a thin .140" pressure plates

hi/rev hub has the circlip grooved machined higher also as has been mentioned before that the c5 hub has the capacity for more clutches

c5 has a deeper pan

The C5 valve body is larger than a C4 and has a large letter 'P' on it but some people say its crap, some say its great?

but again all this info comes from yank forums and the boxs these comparisons were done on are case fill not pan fill like mine so there are already external differences so who knows thats different inside

Got fair bit of info on these :)

The lockup I believe is a centrifugal lockup but I think it is only a U.S thing for the lockup. I've been into a couple C5's here and we did not get lockup.

The C5 ( Sly , yes this one is legit :)  ) is a late C4, 80's onwards . They will be marked with a casting code on the same side as the shift lever commencing with "E2"

Internally they are near identical to most C4, few minor differences .The front band adjuster will be fine thread

There are a few slight lube imprpvements

The valvebody in the Clevo pan fill ones I've done has been just a normal C4 style .

The only odd C5 valvebody I've seen came from a 1984 F truck, it had the "P" valvebody, deep pan etc

Normal C4 rebuild parts will mostly get you by. If in doubt, pull it down and show me some pics , I can guide you through

I've just gone out to the garage and had a look at the pan fill C4 I picked up years back for my XT, and I think its actually a C5..  After some quick research, the casting code on the side of my supposed C4 turns out to be a C5....

20140811_085750.jpg

Mr C4 can you please confirm? :)  It's also got the R servo on it, from memory you liked these?