Olive Xm

Manifold working range

Nice, I was thinking about going e85 how do you find it?

i've run e85 in heaps of turbo cars, loves it, run it in a mates high comp LS motor, works well.

just have to get used to the not so great economy. aka my big tank that's been made.

you'd want 13:1 comp in your setup to get the full benefit of E85, but you are sticking with carby, so i probably wouldn't do it, the mixture isn't stable enough from the pump. hence why i'm going EFI with an ethanol sensor, can pull timing and add/reduce fuel as needed on the fly.

servo list:

http://www.unitedpetroleum.com.au/united/fuel/ethanol-85/e85-store-list

Ok I have some flow figures... on a Superflow @28"

LIFT    INT    EX      TFC

100     65      48       66

200     140    93       144

300     210    134     210

400     270    170     268

450     292    186     276

500     296    195     280

550     296    201     284

600     304    204     288

650     304    204     292

Turns out the figures I had earlier were not off a Superflow, but something else and calculated. 

Im not sure on what to make of this.

The bloke doing the flow testing should have some insight into exactly what's happened there. You should be able to hear a difference in the air flowing when flow drops that much and sharply so. Could it be a problem with his bench?

# edited results

Im sure they are right, I just thought it would be closer to the Chi website results. Silly me.

http://www.chiheads.com.au/shop/2v/2v-ford-cleveland/

I asked Chi and they said they have two types of chambers and of coarse I have the lesser flowing one, and they only get the internet results when they do the whole job......

Didn't tell me any of that when I dropped the heads off for the cnc. When I picked them up they said it would probably flow a little bit more. 

Kicking myself that I did not get them flowed before.

Well that clears it up.... But those figures are nothing to sneeze at. Stock 2Vs won't even crack 200. Yours outflow stock heads before lift reaches 0.300", and have the potential to make 600 hp. Is that not enough?

Well it's enough to for now... Lol. I'm just worried I over did the cam, as when I was talking to cam tech they wanted to know flow figures and I quoted the web site.

Well depends on your target hp and what you want to do with the engine.... Race only, street & strip or performance daily. With that cam it will be hairy below 2 grand and idle at 1200. If you can live with that then sweet, if not then it's too big.

The flow improves little past 0.500 so what I'd suggest is a smaller one not so much in duration but in lift, if only to stress the valvetrain less. Your solid roller set-up can stay, just the stick can be toned down perhaps. Maybe see about getting it reground?

I dunno maybe run it and see.

it'll be fine.... so long as your fine with how big cam engines run (which you are)

did you do a cranking compression test before you pulled the heads?

you'll probably have a more compression in the chamber now, and you'll find the middle of the torque band will fatten up and be more driveable.

this is the bit where you grit your teeth and hope the block will hold up and not split.

are the figures you have quoted above the correct ones now? if so, should see 600hp, unless the heads become a choking point due to cross sectional area and port velocity.

Well the ones in post 103 are the most accurate that I have, if the flow bench was correct. Duggans use another type and they have to calculate it and they said flow was still increasing after 600" and flowed 340 cfm at 700". 

Im just hating that the car wont be ready this year to have a go at this thing.

Hopefully a few are still watching this and I wont have to start a new thread.

Ok earlier this year the engine ate the cam bearings due to what I believe to be low oil pressure, all others were ok and reused. so I sent it off and got them replaced and one piece rear main.

Now I noticed that they did not reinstall the four cam bearing oil restrictors only the one lifter gallery restrictor, I rang them and they said they never use them as the cam pushes down on to the oil holes on the bearing restricting the oil anyway.

Should I reinstall them? 

Facts,

Engine is on a stand and the sump is still off.......

I will be running the external oil line and have a High pressure spring in a standard oil pump {Ando76 go easy on me was only running the spring because of all the restrictors}

I was not running the HP spring before.

Low oil pressure was due to low oil level. Sucking in to intake via bottom of intake gaskets not sealing.

Oil returns cleaned up and aligned 

Engine has grooved lifter bores.

Now solid roller previously solid flat.

Will be installing drain hoses into rocker covers

Camtech Cam description Rough idle, strong mid range and top end. Modified engines only. Min 11:1 comp ratio, 4.1:1+ diff ratio. RPM RANGE 3200-7000

I thought the restrictor goes in the back of the block where the oil gallery plug is, and restricts everything above the main gallery. Never heard of individual restrictors in each cam feed hole.

Nothing wrong with the HP spring in a STD. Volume pump in a Clevo mate.  I think they give you like 80psi or so.

I'm not 100 on the cam restrictors.  I wouldn't use them.  aren't they usually just down in the mains.  Problem will be if they have taped the block out to install restrictors into the cam journals to fit the 'restrictors'  as there could be a big hole left behind.  admittedly the cam bearing only has a limited orifice size anyway but the big hole could cause pressure on the bearing in that area - especially with more oil pressure.

Hard to diagnose of the internet but I would be interested to see any before shots - or installation shots of the cam bearing restrictors.

It may not ever cause an issue as the pressure would be negated by the cam journal running in the bearing.  This is where you need faith in your machine shop and their experience.