Sign in to follow this  
NZXD

Single rail thrust bearing / shift fork set up

Hey guys, I have fitted up my new bell housing to my freshly rebuilt single rail, and when putting the thrust bearing and shift fork on, it doesn't seem to look right.

I have tried to upload photos of what I have, but photobucket isn't playing ball.

Has anyone got any pictures of what the set up and how it should sit?

Nah something's up to shit there mate, could you show a pic of the pivot and how it attaches to the bell? Does the pivot bolt on 2 different ways or is it part of the bell? Seems as if the fork is the wrong one or the pivot point is too far outward from centre

The bell housing is from the GT shop in Epping, its their brand new alloy toploader/single rail housing.

The pivot is fixed and the fork is from the same shop.

Yes it is, I'm thinking its possible that the fork is to short?

I'm guttered as I was intending on fitting the box tonight, then have its first start up in 8 years this weekend....

I'm either having bad luck, or bad planing???

Thought I'd test fit the manual starter motor into the new bell housing, it does line up with the mounting holes, out by about 2mm, and the starter sits hard against the housing.

Heaps of room on the old housing.

Is there different sized starter head / snouts?

Yeah there is... Sounds like you have an auto starter so you either need to source a correct manual one or make up/buy a spacer like I did. Same goes for using a 6-cyl starter on a V8. After doing this you'll need to check tooth engagement. Either that or the housing is wrongly machined. Wouldn't surprise me seeing as they're half the price of a Dellow or CRS unit.

My theory is "Failing to plan is like planning to fail".

Recently i had issues with the shift fork I was sent, sorted that no worries. But my next issue is not researching enough before I took the plunge and purchased a brand new bell housing to suit top loader/single rail, as I have just realised that the positioning for the starter motor is set for a cleveland size 164 tooth flywheel...and as I have a windsor roller block with 157 tooth flywheel it aint going to engage and by the looks Im about 1/2 an inch out.

So now I either have to get a 50oz 164 flywheel and clutch set up or find the appropriate bell housing to suit the single rail with hyd set up....Im farked off with my lack of investigation into this.

Are there any other options?

Ok, I think that is a good option. Can you use a 10.5 inch clutch and pressure plate on a cleveland size 164t flywheel or is it advisable to to get an 11 inch clutch kit?

You can use either, I've seen Clevo flywheels drilled for multiple clutch setups. A 10.5 clutch would be fine if that was what you were going to use anyway, and the clutch really doesn't care what it drives against. If your Windsor is a roller block it will be a later 50-oz imbalance flywheel so as Thom says get a Clevo one and get it balanced from 28 oz to 50 or find a later (post-83) 351 Windsor (also a 164-tooth) which is 50 oz already.

I just did a check and most steel 164t flywheels come in at 28-34 pounds, so it isn't to far on the over weight scale, converted its 13.6kg.