Server maintenance Read more... ×
winton

te s pack no.247 build

Ok so I'm keen to get stuck back into my Corty, sick of no having a hot xflow to have some fun in.

As you can see I've let the shed go and I need to make some room, so this weeks mission is to clean it up and get back into it!

temporary_12.jpg

Diff done, something I had been working on for awhile. 28 spline spooled diff 411's. Parts are Corty housing, falcon yoke, skyline r31 axles, carrier out of a commo, and pintara r31 gears.

IMG_20160131_090805.jpg

IMG_20160131_152408.jpg

Stripped out some more parts off the corty. Some work to do on the parcel shelf. Next i will be fixing that and tubbing to the rails.

IMG_20160131_152349.jpg

IMG_20160131_152400.jpg

How much extra space will that give you? (From inner wheelarch to chassis) Barely looks worth the effort in that pic, like... 25mm (1")?

Yeah I will only pick up about 30mm, if I had to pay someone to do it I wouldn't bother. Not going to cost me anything but time and I'd hate to want the extra room after it's been painted and put back together.

Is the plan to go wider tyres on the ass with custom offset wheels or shorten the diff? 

I was looking at doing it myself a few months back but to cut it out and widen it, shorten the diff and axles, move the leaf springs (mines XD)then

pay for wider wheels, then tyres all seemed to be a very expensive exercise for 1 extra inch. Dunno, i still might at some stage down the track though.

so all the diff mods are a bolt on.. do the skyline axels measure the same length as corty.

Long story short the long axle is the right length the short one is 10mm to short. So I got 10mm taken off the bearing seats making the short one the rite length but the long one 10mm too long so I cut 10mm off the end.

All others bolt on. Off set on axles are different.

Is the plan to go wider tyres on the ass with custom offset wheels or shorten the diff?

I was looking at doing it myself a few months back but to cut it out and widen it, shorten the diff and axles, move the leaf springs (mines XD)then

pay for wider wheels, then tyres all seemed to be a very expensive exercise for 1 extra inch. Dunno, i still might at some stage down the track though.

The diff I built is 25mm shorter each side after disks are fitted. I'm planning on racing it 400m so the extra room may come in handy.

I don't have any wheels for it yet but the plan is to pickup some 15" chaser/cop rims (whatever people call them) and have them widened and offset changed to suit the car.

10mm isnt much of an offset difference if i understand correctly

seems a good easy conversion

There's about 30mm difference in offset from standard Corty axle to the modified r31 skyline

IMG_20160208_164352.jpg

IMG_20160208_164417.jpg

Started on the tubs today

Also picked up a shifter. Plan is to fit it in the original console.

If you figure out a way to make the shifter fit let me know cause I want to do this to

Cortina for life

If you figure out a way to make the shifter fit let me know cause I want to do this to

Cortina for life

Will do. Looks like a tight fit but I think I can make it work.

Did the plumbing for the rear brakes last night. I plan to use r31 skyline brakes all round. Haven't look at the front yet so things may change.

I like this mish-mash of Borg Warner stuff.. would you be able to tell us the distance from face to face with the discs on there, and what's the centre to centre measurement on the spring pads? Currently tossing up whether to go Hilux or Borg Warner diff in my '92 Courier (want five stud)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The modified diff with brakes fitted is 1460mm but the r31 skyline axles are not 5 stud.

No spring pads. Te Cortys have coils mounted on the lower trailing arms.

If anyone is interested the standard length with drums fitted is 1510mm give or take a couple of mm

Cortina for life

I'll take some measurements and post up a how to. Man it is a tight fit. After the well is put in the floor the shifter needs to be loose and the console fitted in two pieces. I am going to have to bolt the shifter in from under the car and also drill some holes in the floor to screw the console together.

Is that a manual console??

What are you thinking to cover it

Cortina for life

Yeah mate manual console and was going to use the standard rubber boot from a manual. Depending on where the lockout sits may cut a hole through the boot for it.

I'm not sure you could get it under an auto with the standard prn321 cover. It would have to be straight so it would have to move forwards. It would sit up the top end of the cover. If you cut the backing of the clock it may work.