Server maintenance Read more... ×
Valvebouncer

Bw35-40 differences

Hey guys,

So I've got a BW35 in my ute at the moment that seems to shift well the only problem is the kick down cable is frayed and broken. I have a BW40 sitting in the garage with a kick down in it.

My question is, can I pinch the cable out of the 40 and put it in the 35? Is there any other major difference between the boxes?

I figure it's easier ( lazier) to ask here first rather than flood my garage with auto fluid leaving it looking like a murder scene.

• Nah,

Nah, just tore the 40 apart and was sussing out the 35 and their differences, both lines are on the passenger side.

We have just been given a xf ute (that's 2  xf utes and 2 Xe's now) auto 255 km  been sitting for 3 years  Aug88 build.

Just gave  the fluid's a  flush and took it for spin the auto is  sliping a shudders into 3 rd.

Topped up the tranny fluid but it needs a service.

My young fella is going to take it to school and use the hoist. He is doing Yr 11 auto.

VB's quote doesn't help with the differences. The kits for the 35 and 40 are different.

Is there another way to I.D iT ?

Look on the side of the box (passenger side from memory) there should be a metal plate about halfway up it saying either Borg Warner Model 35 or Model 40.

Probably needs the bands adjusting if slipping.

What type of kit? If it's a filter and gasket they should be the same.

The tranny has been identified it's called "luv u long time ",but seriously

My son found a tag on the side that reads "Borg Warner Trans 40".

Got the service kit from Repco included  pan gasket filter and filter gasket $15.

He brought out the bw 35 kit, it was  covered in dust he said we cant get rid of these ones any more.

Hi all,

I think i vaguely remember that the 35 was shorter then the 40. I'm I right or wrong? And dose anyone know what year ford changed from 35 to 40.

I need a trans for a corty, I'm sure they had 35s, don't want to get a 40 and the tail shaft doesn't work.

Cheers

13 hours ago, winton said:

Hi all,

I think i vaguely remember that the 35 was shorter then the 40. I'm I right or wrong? And dose anyone know what year ford changed from 35 to 40.

I need a trans for a corty, I'm sure they had 35s, don't want to get a 40 and the tail shaft doesn't work.

Cheers

Now that I think about it, I think I'm wrong and that the xmember mount is further back but the overall lengths are the same. If anyone could confirm or tell me different would be great

18 hours ago, winton said:

shorter?

i've seen 35s in shorter length in XY .. not sure about later models, only seen it once where a 40 or even 51 didn't take the same tailshaft length as 35.. (for all i know, it could have been from a sigma or something?)

My brother dropped an XF 4.1 and bw 40 into his TE cortina i don't recall any difference.. (could be wrong, was 20yrs ago?)

Hi all,

Cheers

Same size box unless you're looking at really early ones.

Mostly just internal upgrades.

I'm fairly sure tailshafts are the same.

Think it was 82 or 83 the box changed?

Cheers guys, that clears up my confusion. About 20years ago I swapped a 40 from an xf in to an xr, I need to used the xf tail shaft, because from memory the 35 was shorter, but pretty sure I read somewhere else that 35 and 40 were same, so yeah confused about why I had to use the xf tail shaft.

With the  corty tail shaft i was worried about the length.