Server maintenance Read more... ×
xbcool

Metal flake paint

I was asked by my young bloke what was metal flake paint was.

Before I answer I probly should have a correct answer

I think it's microscopic bits of plastic , I think if it was real metal it would cause rust

Anybody got experience in this field .

Steve

I used to work in an auto paint store up until 2 weeks ago so here goes, metal flake is not a paint but an aditive used (also Known as jewels)

they were and still are in smaller quanities used in the boat industry (ski boats and the like) it is a very coarse flake made from highly reflective

pieces of plastic some people use them on cars but you need to know what your doing because of the size of the flake can leave dimples in the finish thats why its best applied mixed in a toning binder and then clear over that some people mixit in with the clear though

Did a tafe course and painted my kayak in a candy green with a flake added to the clear and it was plastic chips like Wayne mentioned but these are called prisma-tique and have a rainbow effect. Yes... The world's gayest kayak

I was asked by my young bloke what was metal flake paint was.

Before I answer I probly should have a correct answer

I think it's microscopic bits of plastic , I think if it was real metal it would cause rust

Anybody got experience in this field .

Steve

I liked this, Steve.

It just doesnt get enough credit when people ask before giving info to younger ones.

my 2 bobs worth

you are on the money xpt crossy   as the original  flake was made from aluminium and coloured  and was originally used with cellulose lacquers. from memory you needed something like 10 / 12 or more coats of clear over the flake, sanding the latter coats to get a smooth finish making it labour intensive and expensive. if you were to keen in rubbing it back an made contact with the flake you would rub the colour off  leaving a silver finish. the high build of clear also had a tendency to crack an craze in warmer weather this reduced its usability on everyday cars .  with the advancement of high build acrylic paint products and plastics and the car manufactures offering metallic paint finishes paint manufactures started making the flakes from coloured plastics which won't  dissolve in todays paint products. so all you  young folks who said the flake was made from plastic are also on the money.  so I guess its called progress in technology leaving us old farts behind in history haha  :o 

yep I too want to see the pics of  this gay kayak  gerg 

ta chaise

the young fellas pretty switched on ,and I reckon if ya kids cant trust their parent they cant trust anyone.

it's only a newish saying but   "ya can't bullshit someone that has google"

so I told him to go and google it but he wasn't having much luck, but looks like the answer is aluminium in the early years then to plastic when technology took over.

thanks for everyones help, now wheres those photos gerg?

steve

lol gerg.. now that you mentioned that, you gotta somehow find some pics for us all to have a laugh at ;)

Pics of said kayak are required

We need closure

arr crap you guys now i want to see it to

yep I too want to see the pics of  this gay kayak  gerg 

thanks for everyones help, now wheres those photos gerg?

Ok you all want it so hard...

1031c30a72d2bbb7a11255505c42c617.jpg481a06e8a4cb57e25ab4c4b5d24b676c.jpg

Not the best from a phone camera but you get the idea of the gayness.